• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

Pinkfeet

Out on my bike on Saturday afternoon/evening, in wintry conditions, complete with horizontal hail as I passed Stobswood. That gave a me a good excuse to stop and shelter under a tree, while watching c1000 pinkfooted geese in the fields to the south of the large pool.

About 20 more were in the fields west of Maiden's Hall lake, and another 30-40 at East Chevington (along with 5 smart-looking red-breasted merganser - on Ladyburn Lake - and a pair of whooping whooper swans).

But the Stobswood count was dwarfed by the numbers of pinkfeet at Cresswell, with the field south of the farmhouse, right by the road, holding at least 2000 geese, making a phenomenal cacophony as the sun set.

Tawny owl(s?) hooting in the trees just south of Stobhill roundabout the last few nights ...takes my garden list to 49 in 3 years!

Black Grouse and Lapwing

Out in the murk and drizzle yesterday afternoon on hills along East Allen. Several sightings of bedraggled Black Grouse (single males) at 2 locations, a Peregrine mobbed by corbies at Haggburn Gate.

At Knockburn a covey (is that right description) of 5 Greyhens feeding amongst rush and a very early single Lapwing on breeding territory.

On 27th Jan a sizeable flock of 550-600 Fieldfare in a roadside field (Stanegate) between Settlingstones and Grindon Hill.

2 Greenland White-fronted Geese with Canada's at Grindon Lough

Upwards of 400 linnet on the fields between between Shadfen junction and the top of the hill down into Bothal. Hard to count as quite mobile, and each time I got a total, another 30-40 flew in from elsewhere! Also 50-60 fieldfare and 30-40 redwing, 100+ starling, my first 3 grey partridge of the year, a buzzard on a fence post right by the road, and a rather bizarre fly-over from a cormorant...!

West Hartford

Out with the Pointer at West Hartford Saturday 1st Feb about 11.00 got a good point and walked in to about 20ft from dog before sending him in to flush what I thought would be a pair of Partridge or a Pheasant but I was past my self when a Bittern got up then about 50 yards away I flushed a fox great morning

Just heard a rumour ( From a local) that a cafe is going to be built at the Royal Quays where the Common Terns nest. Every year the colony has been increasing so hope it stays a rumour.

Starling Mumuration, Haltwhistle

Starling numbers have been building of late, tonight 14-1500 birds not large but nevertheless they put on a good show. So for anyone passing through and wanting to see the mumuration, come off A69 at start of bypass (from East) which brings you onto what was the old A69 drive as far as Edens Lawn garage and turn parking in lay-by opposite garage so your facing East.

Starlings start to build up from 16.30hrs to the North above the church, many drop into roost in single large tree in churchyard others in trees to East.

We've had a mumuration in area for a few years now but this easiest to view.

Not just a rumour, although my understanding is that nesting rafts will be provided so that the birds have an alternative.

cheers
martin

Just heard a rumour ( From a local) that a cafe is going to be built at the Royal Quays where the Common Terns nest. Every year the colony has been increasing so hope it stays a rumour.

Quelle Surprise!!!

Was driving from Seaton Delightful this morning through Seghill and after passing the Landfill and the crossing and then the mini rooondabooot, in the field to the left at the back of the public weighbridge, a flock of geese. All bar one were Greylags, the other was a White-front. Here.

Nice!

Marsh Harrier Holy Islandm

15.45hrs this afternoon female Marsh Harrier hunting over dunes and rush on foreshore beside causeway at Holy Island, harassed by a Merlin for several minutes, watched for almost 20 minutes before it was lost to sight in dunes. Nice bird to end the day with.

Not just a rumour, although my understanding is that nesting rafts will be provided so that the birds have an alternative.

cheers
martin

Thanks for that Martin
I wonder where the rafts will fit in a busy harbour? Probably being built just to satisfy people's desire for a nice view too....
:C

Last edited:
Four purple sandpiper and a single grey plover with dozens of turnstone and oystercatcher at Church Point, Newbiggin, this afternoon.

Also a single long-tailed duck close in to the beach in the bay, but no sign of any Med gulls.

Called in at Woodhorn museum on the way home, seeing my first 2 red squirrels of the year.

Enjoyed watching a lovely grey wagtail under the bridge over the (rather torrential) Wansbeck at the bottom of Whorral Bank this lunch time. It spent 10 minutes vying for morsels with a robin in among the flotsam.

And yesterday, the first real snow of the year brought us our first ever reed bunting into the garden :) [which also brought up the 50 species for this small garden in the 5 years we've lived here]

Attachments

• reed_bunting_garden1.jpg
    reed_bunting_garden1.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 97
I remember when I got my only ever Reed Bunting in the garden, when I was a post-grad student in Glasgow. It was a male in the snow, I was awestruck. Well done.

Had a ride to Holy Island today with the intention of a couple of landscape pics - walked out onto the sands to shoot the pilgrims way which turned out 'OK', but flat blue sky is a bit boring for landscape pics :-O

Anyway on the way back to the car i watched a pair of Black Tailed Godwit's and this duck which i think is a Long Tailed Duck? There were also 5 male Eider, single Oystercatcher & 4 Curlew all between the road refuge and the car park on the mainland.

Attachments

• 2014-02-16-94754-DSC_0746-1.jpg
    2014-02-16-94754-DSC_0746-1.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-02-16-94709-DSC_0701-1.jpg
    2014-02-16-94709-DSC_0701-1.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back