• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Thanks, is it due to the slightly upturned bill as the tail of the bird in the photo doesn't look barred?

Yes, partly. The Black-tailed has a longer, straighter bill. It is less marked/streaked on it's back in winter. The black feathers are wing tips...but looking between, slightly higher you can see some barring.

Cheers,

Richard.

Last edited:
Thinking of a cycle up to East Chevington this weekend, and have been reading that there's a new feeding station with good views of redpoll near one of the hides. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which of the hides has the feeders? Hopefully I'll have time to call in to each, but it depends how quickly my winter (un)fitness levels allow me to get there!!

Thinking of a cycle up to East Chevington this weekend, and have been reading that there's a new feeding station with good views of redpoll near one of the hides. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which of the hides has the feeders? Hopefully I'll have time to call in to each, but it depends how quickly my winter (un)fitness levels allow me to get there!!

Have sent you a PM Lazza

Wow! Without doubt the closest I've been able to watch these little beauties! 8-10 redpoll, 3-4 reed bunting, chaffinches, a siskin and three tit species present for most of my 30 minutes in the hide.

25-30 Goldeneye spread over the lake, and reasonable (if slightly distant) views of the red-necked grebe. Three long-tailed ducks and a pair of pochard completed the list, although another birder said he had picked up the slavonian grebe too, but it was a white speck for me!

Also, wonderful to hear skylark singing and see several territorial battles going on in a number of places along the ride, and plenty of singing dunnocks, wrens and chaffinch also heard.

Had a very nice few hours between Cresswell, Druridge, Hauxley & Chevington today despite the high winds - highlights were pair of Avocets and pair of Knot at Cresswell, Redpoll & Otter at Chevington and a nice covey of 4 Grey Partridge approaching Hauxley..

Attachments

• 2014-02-23-95767-DSC_8052-1.jpg
    2014-02-23-95767-DSC_8052-1.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 2014-02-23-95640-DSC_7925-1.jpg
    2014-02-23-95640-DSC_7925-1.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 2014-02-23-95276-DSC_3492-1.jpg
    2014-02-23-95276-DSC_3492-1.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 2014-02-23-95475-DSC_3693-1.jpg
    2014-02-23-95475-DSC_3693-1.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 69
Forgot to mention Saturday's female goldeneye on the river Wansbeck just upstream from the weir at the bottom Whorral bank in Morpeth. Not sure how common this is to see, but a first for me.

Brambling seems to be the only thing I post about these days but....
6 birds at the Wildlife Hide at Wallington Hall + a Marsh Tit here too as well as
up to 6 Red Squirrel. Several Bullfinch in the Walled Garden.
Andy

Hi Everyone
I will be staying overnight in Ashington next weekend and would really like to see some sea ducks. I've heard that Amble harbour is often particularly good for Eider. Is this still true and could you recommend any other locations between Whitley bay and Alnmouth with easy access? Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Martin

Hi Martin,

It would be worth your time dropping in to Cresswell and also East Chevington. Yesterday the latter had 3 Long-Tailed Ducks, Black-Throated Diver, Red-Necked Grebe, Slavonian Grebe, Red-Breasted Mergansers not to mention 3 Stonechat, 8+ Lesser Redpolls and other common birds.

Blyth quayside is usually pretty good for eider. Plenty of posing males around at the moment. a-OOa! Also several eider at Church Point, Newbiggin last week, and I had a LT duck in Newbiggin bay recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back