• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Decent mixed flock of geese at Bothal pond yesterday afternoon. Canada goose, greylag and pinkfoot all present, but didn't manage to find anything more unusual (although many of the birds were quite distant so may try and check again tomorrow). Also c300 pinkfoot in the fields beneath the wind farm at Linton.

I've spent the last two mornings at East Chev photographing Redpoll. I thought I had a couple of Mealies yesterday but looking through my photos they turned out to be pale Lessers. Also on the North pool were a couple of Barnacle Geese, the Black-Throated Diver and Red-Necked Grebe.

Attachments

• IMG_7348.jpg
    IMG_7348.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7357.jpg
    IMG_7357.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7363.jpg
    IMG_7363.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7419.jpg
    IMG_7419.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7441.jpg
    IMG_7441.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 48
And even more.

Attachments

• IMG_7471.jpg
    IMG_7471.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7510.jpg
    IMG_7510.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7550.jpg
    IMG_7550.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7715.jpg
    IMG_7715.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 43
My first chiffchaff for 2014 this afternoon in the trees along Dunces House Lane, east of Coopies Lane in Morpeth (and also my 100th UK species for the year). Three whole weeks earlier than last year. Summer's coming!

Also, three delightful roe deer running back and forth through the plantation there, no more than 30m away!

And the first garden siskin of 2014 at lunch time today. It always strikes me as odd that they are such infrequent visitors, as we probably get them only 3-4 times a year on our feeders, usually randomly spread over different dates between September and April.

Last edited:
Two Chiffchaff singing at Alnmouth Marsh (the pond on the golf course, yes?) and *drum roll please* my first Water Rail since the late 90's o:) Mooching about on the muddy banks of the pond just below me....and typically there was nobody around to share it with :smoke: :-O

Then on to Boulmer beach to look for possible early Wheatears (no show) but as I headed back to the car park a flock/herd/group *delete as applicable* ;) of 56 Whooper Swan flew by overhead, calling loudly and heading north.

Reports of a Sand Martin over Alnmouth Estuary yesterday but none seen today by me. Loads of spring flowers bursting out everywhere though and at least three different types of bumble bee seen today so Summer is definitely on it's way :t:

Another calling chiffchaff at Kirkley Hall yesterday. Also two very confiding treecreepers (my first of the year!), on trees just 2-3m away, up towards the walled garden. Wish I'd had my camera!

And pleased to say, the female Siskin has returned to the garden daily since my last post, joined by a male today :)

Long haul up to Forestburn Reservoir on my bike today, which was quiet but for c50 Canada Geese, a single cormorant and a handful of Goldcrest in the trees.

But several other places along the route had largish flocks of birds, including 60+ chaffinch in pine trees at Longwitton, and a mixed flock of birds on farmland at Throphill (consisting of 25+ tree sparrow, 20+ yellowhammer, 10-12 fieldfare, chaffinch, linnet and reed bunting).

Finally, a female goosander on the Wansbeck half a mile downstream from Mitford.

Last edited:
Chiff Chaff singing behind house last 5 days (nr Haltwhistle) another at Grindon Lough (wood at side of road) Northern Wheatear at Sipton Burn (East Allen) this afternoon no sign of any Ring Ousels yet. Golden Plover flocks starting to build up in traditional sites again in East Allen valley extensive black on males suggesting Northern race. Quite a few Fieldfare groups in area this last week some in the hundreds.

Sunday evening around 18:10. A Mistle Thrush singing from the weather vane on top of The Armstrong Building, Newcastle University. Could lead to a nest site as quirky as the one I saw about five years ago on roof beams of the IKEA warehouse at Blaydon.

Last edited:
Spring arrivals

Hi all
Despite the heavy fog, Druridge had a very spring-like feel on Sunday.

I found a Black Redstart just North of the turning circle at Druridge Pools at midday yesterday, my first own find for this species in the UK so very pleased.

Little ringed Plover, Ruff and an Otter at Cresswell were nice too among other bits and pieces.

PLEASE NOTE - The Drift Cafe is now open just along from Cresswell Pond.
The owner, Duncan is a keen birder and he's done a cracking job getting the cafe re-opened after the building was asset stripped. Nice menu and coffees - please support him when you're visiting the coast. It's a great asset to the birding community.

Andy

I know it's not related to birding, but anyone interested in getting good photos of red squirrels might want to head along to the wildlife hide at Wallington Hall. Have been twice in the last fortnight and had 3 squirrels the first time, and 4 this last Saturday.

Also had a tawny owl hooting from trees near the lower (boating) pond.

Attachments

• Squirrels_WH.jpg
    Squirrels_WH.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 97
5 pochard, including 3 lovely drakes, on Bothal Pond this afternoon.

Also, just down the road, on the Sheepwash road flashes, were 25+ gadwall.

Good to hear that numbers are picking up again. I can remember a peak count of around a dozen from the hide when I did a couple of NT Working Holidays at Wallington back in 2005/6

Not as breeding birds. All four (Great, Arctic, Pom and Long-tailed) are possible when seawatching (late-August through to mid-October, in the right conditions). We've recorded all four on pelagic trips off Northumberland too, although they've been a bit thin on the ground for the last few years.

cheers
martin

So looking forward to my trip in the summer, tell me guys, do you get Skuas?

Steve

A pair of dipper displaying to each other along the River Blyth in Plessey Woods at lunchtime today. Also, a single male goosander on the river, at least 4 chiffchaff calling from the woodland, and a mobile group of 6-8 goldcrest near the squirrel feeders.

I also spoke to the Northumberland council workers who were filling up the squirrel feeders, who commented that the feeders have been emptying quickly the last month or so for the first time in a couple of years, and that an otter is frequenting the man-made otter den (a yellow plastic pipe built into the river bank).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back