• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Stopped by Bothal Pond this morning, where there was a real cacophony going on with all the gulls corvids and waders up in the air together.... eventually spotted the culprit - a fabulous peregrine falcon at the eastern edge of the pond devouring its prey! A first for me at this site :t: Eventually it was seen off by a concerted attack from the crows and rooks, and headed off south-eastwards.

Bearded Tits at Chevvy

Had a male and a female Bearded Tit at Chevington N Pool on Sunday (sorry for the tardy post but I did put it out on Birdguides on the day). They were in front of the main metal hide - down the track from Red Row. They flew high to the S Pool.

Also White fronted Goose in with the Greylags and 3 Whooper Swans + 3 Snow Buntings at the mouth of Chevington Burn.

Holywell Dene/Pond

Cracking walk around the Dene and fields. Birds of note were: Kestrel, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Tree Sparrow, Snipe, Buzzard, Dunlin, Bar-tailed Godwit and Grey Wagtail. Also 3 Roe Deer, looked like a doe and young.

Richard.

Dashed down to the Fish Quay at North Shields when I heard that there were 3 Little Auk showing well. They weren't showing at all when I got there. Tried the Haven at Tynemouth, where my luck was in. A single Little Auk about 100 yards off the Spanish Battery. Identifiable, but I'm yet to get a decent close up view of one.

Richard

Whitley Bay Rarity

Following an enjoyable week or two out and about enjoying common and scarce late autumn/winter birds, it was a real treat to get decent views of a fabulous Hume's Yellow-browed Warbler (they must have dropped the 'leaf' bit) today.

In the best sunlight for several days the bird showed for a few hours this afternoon.

Nice to see a few friendly old faces at the twitch. I hope everybody got smashing views (and photographs) of the bird. Good bin skills were required, as it was a sharp, flitting little bird, like many of the same ilk.

Top marks to the birder who identified it.

Hope it is still there (Briar Dene) tomorrow for those who couldn't get there today.

Happy birding folks.

Richard.

Managed to see 2 of the reported 3 Black Redstarts at Newbiggin this morning. Birds were very flighty and were frequently moving from caravan park end to golf course end. Anyway this is the best shot i managed from a distance of approx 30 yards..

Attachments

• 2014-11-30-149138-DSC_1595.jpg
    2014-11-30-149138-DSC_1595.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 69
Managed to see 2 of the reported 3 Black Redstarts at Newbiggin this morning. Birds were very flighty and were frequently moving from caravan park end to golf course end. Anyway this is the best shot i managed from a distance of approx 30 yards..

Canny shot there. I heard there was a juv Glaucous Gull in Newbiggin on the breakwater this morning too, but I couldn't see it early afternoon.

Out on an early cycle Sunday morning, finally caught up with my first winter thrushes of the season in the churchyard at Stannington Village. In fact, the trees there were full of a multitude of thrush species, with about a dozen redwing, a couple of song thrush, a mistle thrush and around 15-20 blackbirds.

Last edited:
Great Grey Shrike at Wessie H this pm, found by Phil The Cram-meister.

Still there at dusk, within the hedge here >>http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=425285&y=579462&z=115&sv=425285,579462&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=525&ax=425285&ay=579462&lm=0

There's two tall trees within the hedge and was in the top of the RH one or within the hedge or on the fence posts.

Excellent. Shall have a go for that tomorrow.

Bittern sighted at Swallow Pond earlier today.

Richard

Three Shrikes and You're Out

Anyone know if the shrike is still around at West Hartford? Might give it a try at lunchtime today.

No sign yesterday. One person may have not been looking in the right place but the other was and no joy.

STOP THE PRESSES - JUST SEEN NOW (14:25HRS) IN THE FIELD NORTH OF THE FIELD WITH THE BRICK BUILDING IN.

IF YOU RESTARTED THE PRESSES, STOP THEM AGAIN - THE BIRD WAS IN THE HEDGEROW THAT SEPARATES THE BRICK BUILDING FIELD FROM THE ONE TO ITS NORTH.

Last edited:
Grey & Black

A couple of record shots of the Great Grey Shrike at West Hartford and a couple of shots of the Black-necked Grebe at QE11 lake which is a lifer for me. |:d|

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 38
A couple of record shots of the Great Grey Shrike at West Hartford and a couple of shots of the Black-necked Grebe at QE11 lake which is a lifer for me. |:d|

Belters of 'my' GGS, Ron. Bird still there at dusk today in same tree as it was at dusk on Sunday. It was in the hedgerow on the northern perimeter of the field north of the brick building field.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back