• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

Keith Reeder said:
The bird of prey you saw might well have been a buzzard. Certainly your description is very "buzzardy".

A large bird of prey perched on a fencepost......... It's quite a leap to describe that as "buzzardy" isn't it Keith? No indication of size/colour/shape?

martin

"No indication of size" except
potentially a buzzard in the same area. It was large enough

I read that as "it was the size of a buzzard".

;) ;) ;)

I'm no expert, but I can't think of many likely candidate BOPs that are buzzard-sized, perch on fence posts - something buzzards habitually do, I've noticed - and are likely to be encountered up here.

Well, apart from buzzard, that is..!

;)

So not a huge leap really, all things considered.

Seriously, in this part of the world, what else is it likely to be?

It could be something else, but (assuming that it was also more or less buzzard coloured, or Mark might have mentioned something to the contrary - then again, buzzards can be all sorts of colours), the balance of probability puts buzzard in the frame for me.

Besides, I said it "might well have been" a buzzard. I hardly staked my life on the (possible) ID, I just agreed that it could be...

;)

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Aye, you're right Gary - it seems longer, but it was indeed just last Winter. In fact I saw it on 2 January this year.

It does seem along time ago doesn't it. I also saw it on the 2nd January. who knows, I might have even been standing next to you Keith.

Could be!

I was there from about 10:30 until it initially disappeared, then hung around for another quarter of an hour before leaving.

Apparently it was back ten minutes after I left, being mobbed by a peregrine!

waxwings again

Was back at Holywell again today and saw a group of 11 Waxwing. As they were perched in a tree right next to the path, we ended up really quite close and could watch them dropping from the tree into the berry bushes (sorry, dont know the type of berry) below to feed. I did take some pictures but i dont know how to post them up on here.

As far as the Buzzard is concerned. I was speaking to a gent who was watching the Waxwings as well, and when i asked if he had heard anything about a Buzzard, he said no, but a Hen Harrier had been spotted in the area recently. (?) I am only passing this info on, and have not see anything that would substantiate this, but thought those more knowledgable than me may be able to make sense of it.

(dead chuffed about the Waxwings though.)

Last edited:
Cresswell today, absolutely glorious views of red breasted merganser, smew, peregrine, long tailed ducks x3, stonechats oh and a kestrel that decided to have "brunch" on a nearby fence post....two days running for the peregrine now...well chuffed
Rick

Attachments

• kestrel12.jpg
    kestrel12.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 103
  • red breasted merganser1.jpg
    red breasted merganser1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 99
  • stonechat2.jpg
    stonechat2.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 113
cuddy said:
Nice pics Rick glad your posting seems ages since i met you at Kielder.

Regards Cuddy.

With 53 posts and 17 pics in my gallery, i'm surprised i've got time left to do anything else...LOL
Regards
Rick

Up-county from Ponteland
Leonard and I have just spent a couple of nights at Bellingham. From there we explored Kielder, Deadwater and today we went up the Ingram valley.
Wet yesterday, glorious day today.
Our bird count was good.
Bellingham-Kielder several buzzards, kestrels and 1 grey heron
Deadwater Valley - 1 grey heron, 1 dipper and 1 redstart.
On our way from Bellingham we saw at
Thropton - 3 buzzards and 1 kestrel
Hepple - 2 buzzards and at
Ingram Valley along the Breamish
3 buzzards, 3 kestrel, 2 dippers. oh and either a salmon or a very large trout just showing its dorsal fin in the running water.
It was a great day.
We also went to the Bird of Prey Centre at Kielder. In principle, I'm concerned about this type of centre. However, all but a few breeding birds do fly free on a rotation.
So, we saw a snowy owl, a harris hawk and finally a black kite flying - I wore the glove and the black kite came to me.....what a handsome bird!
Children also took part, so I couldn't help feeling that this was bringing the two together in a natural setting, or as near a natural setting that one could get.
Apparently their eagle went AWOL for 18 days, and when discovered by a farmer, they had to go and get him..too lazy to fly home! The black kite also stayed out all night on one occasion, but then came in of his own accord.
I just hope this does not stir up a heated exchange. Mods - be prepared to cut it if things get out of hand...

the guys at the BOP centre do a grand job, lots of owls come here for re-hab.

i visit the place a few times a year, the birds vary from month to month.

Sounds like you both had a fabulous day June :t:

Haven't been to the BOP Centre - haven't been to Kielder for about three years come to think of it! - yet but always meant to. Soooo jealous of you being able to actually hold a hawk....I've always fancied going on one of those one-day falconery courses JUST to be up close to these fantastic birds.

Can't believe you were in the Ingram Valley too......I live on the other side of the hill to Ingram Village!!!! About 500 yards from our cottage I can walk to the top of the hill and overlook the whole valley :king: LOL I was almost SCARED to read what you'd seen in case I'd missed something good!!! :-O

Glad you had a super day though :t:

Gill

BOP Kielder

salty said:
the guys at the BOP centre do a grand job, lots of owls come here for re-hab.

i visit the place a few times a year, the birds vary from month to month.

I was impressed with the set-up and the way in which the three men, and a lady were so enthusiastic and caring as they talked about the birds. It was an absolute delight to see tiny children standing in wonder and awe as the snowy owl swooped silently over their heads - actually about half an inch above their little heads!!
The chap who did the flying demo lives in Ryton. We have a friend living in Kielder village and she thinks he may have taken over in recent years. Gill, you must go - the golden eagle, the black vulture, the kookaburra (!) as well as loads of different owls were so interesting. I just felt so much happier seeing the birds flying free.............

Well worth a visit. and if you have youngsters, the Kielder Winter Wonderland is great fun - including horse-drawn rides around the village. The ice rink is fun too, so get your skates on and go! There is a restaurant and a marquee selling snacks and drinks - something for everyone! :t:

coast

Sanderling and Turnstone at Tynemouth Longsands today, and im almost sure of a few Firecrest in Northumberland Park, may have been Goldcrest, but they were a little more plump and the song was a bit thinner. Does this sound right?

ps: is it ok to post things like this? by this i mean sightings that may be ambiguous, or that im slightly unsure of. I dont want to mislead anyone, even though im not posting anything rare or dramatic. im merely trying to get a few tips as im still a bit of a novice.

Hi Mark,

I think that your little birds are most likely goldcrest - I've got photos in my gallery (and attached) of goldcrest that are so "plump" that they're football-shaped!

The thinner song is better for gold too - fire has a slightly lower pitched call (though there's not much in it until you've heard both).

Oh - and firecrest is rare enough that to have seen "a few" would almost be a national event..!

;)

I can't think of a single good reason why you shouldn't post in exactly the way you just have: you were on your patch, you saw some birds and asked a few questions - seems to me that's exactly why we've got this thread, and I for one will post similar questions here whenever I'm not sure about something.

Don't think you've got anything to worry about there, Mark.

Attachments

• 4913gold11.jpg
    4913gold11.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 91
Keith Reeder said:
Hi Mark,

I think that your little birds are most likely goldcrest - I've got photos in my gallery (and attached) of goldcrest that are so "plump" that they're football-shaped!

The thinner song is better for gold too - fire has a slightly lower pitched call (though there's not much in it until you've heard both).

Oh - and firecrest is rare enough that to have seen "a few" would almost be a national event..!

;)

I can't think of a single good reason why you shouldn't post in exactly the way you just have: you were on your patch, you saw some birds and asked a few questions - seems to me that's exactly why we've got this thread, and I for one will post similar questions here whenever I'm not sure about something.

Don't think you've got anything to worry about there, Mark.

"Oh - and firecrest is rare enough that to have seen "a few" would almost be a national event..!"

Keith, this is just the thing im trying to avoid, leading people up the wrong path. I must admit i laughed out loud when i read it could almost be a national event. Thanks very much for your support though, and for the photo of the Goldcrest, it is exactly what i seen the other day. The firecrest is something i'll have to wait for i suppose. Will i be able to tell the difference though? Heaven knows.

thanks again, mark

Stewart's right - they are very obviously different in the flesh.

Now, I've only seen one myself - in among goldcrest - and everything about it stood out: the sound it made, its behaviour/jizz, the look of the thing...

The trick is to get very familiar with the "usual suspects" - the more common birds - then you'll soon notice the things that make a bird stand out as different.

Anyone out there any good at IDing owl pellets?

I came across this one today: open arable farmland about 2 miles from the sea.

This is more or less "life size".

The area has tawny and SEO (both of which I've seen) and barn (says the farmer).

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
    pellet.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Med Gull showing very well at North Shields Fish Quay. Cliffords fort car park (the one next to the Black Middens ).

Attachments

• med gull.jpg
    med gull.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back