• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

They were seen (four of 'em) flying north east near Alnwick yesterday.

No report today, so - truthfully - they could be anywhere now...

martin kitching said:
Contrary to this, Whooper has been very easy this winter; there are good numbers coming to roost regularly at East Chev (I counted 110 in November and 70+ in December). Many of these birds can also be found feeding during the day as well.

martin

Cheers Martin. I was reacting to first hand reports from a few birders that I was chatting to today, and also this time last year I had already seen sizeable flocks at Bothal and Fenham-le-Moor - good to see that they are around, just not when I'm around :h?:

Keith

Well done Dennis i am totally jealous, good days birding that.

Keith beware the tittle tattle of birders, especially in the middle of bird race fortnight.

Had a canny day at Big Waters today in the company of Jim a photographer who has an interest in birds, as oppossed to myself a birder with photographic intent.

We had crippling views of a Kingfisher and canny views of Merlin, Jim manged two lifers in Kingfisher and GS Woodpecker and his photographic knowledge was top notch for me.

Cuddy.

I did the Northumberland circuit today. Starting at Hulne Park, I had four Hawfinch within ten minutes of arriving. But they were very flighty, probably due to the shooting going on in the park. Although, two kept returning to the tall trees above the gate house.
Next I went onto Budle bay for the Avocet which I picked up after a quick scan of the North side of the bay. There was also a small flock of Barnacle Geese and good numbers of Barwits and Grey Plover.
Then onto Stag rock, there were good numbers of Long-tailed Duck, two Great Northern and four Red-throated Diver also two slav’s, with a flock of about fifty Purple Sandpiper feeding on the beach.
Finally I had a quick stop at East Chev where I had a close encounter with a Short-eared Owl as it went to fly over the screen as I walked up to it. It was amazing to literally come face to face with it. The only other birds of note were a male Red-breasted Merganser and the long staying Red-necked Grebe. Even though the weather was a bit dull for decent pics I did get some record shots. All in all, a very enjoyable day.

Attachments

• Hawfinch 1.jpg
    Hawfinch 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Hawfinch 2.jpg
    Hawfinch 2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Hawfinch 3.jpg
    Hawfinch 3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Purple Sandpiper 1.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper 1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 78
  • Purple Sandpiper 2.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper 2.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 79
cuddy said:
Well done Dennis i am totally jealous, good days birding that.

Keith beware the tittle tattle of birders, especially in the middle of bird race fortnight.

Had a canny day at Big Waters today in the company of Jim a photographer who has an interest in birds, as oppossed to myself a birder with photographic intent.

We had crippling views of a Kingfisher and canny views of Merlin, Jim manged two lifers in Kingfisher and GS Woodpecker and his photographic knowledge was top notch for me.

Cuddy.

looking forward to seeing some good pics mate.

cuddy said:

Cuddy.

Merlin at Big Waters!! I'll have to have trip down there, as its only five minutes walk from my house.

Last edited:
They're not exactly regular though, Gary - don't build your hopes up too much...

I've never seen one at BW, and I used to spend days at a time there when I used to carp fish the place back in the day.

Funnily enough, I saw several back when I used to fish the pond at Horton Grange on the Blagdon estate.

Saw three Hawfinches in the trees above Hulne Park gatehouse (Alnwick) this morning at 10:15, about 20 minutes after arriving. A lifer for me, not that that's too difficult!

One male gave very good views in the sun and stayed long enough to get a scope onto it. From other posts on this thread, they seem to be pretty reliable at the moment. I've heard they can often be hit and miss. Someone quoted last year having seen them only once in five visits, so now looks a great time for trying for them.

Went on to my first ever visit to Stag Rocks. What a beautiful location! Anyway, the divers and grebes reported by Denis J on Sunday, and by Vipers on Monday, were nowhere to be seen (confirmed by other birders who'd been there a while before we arrived). Several male Long-tailed Ducks were on the sea though, often quite close in, so that was some compensation. Also large numbers of Purple Sandpipers feeding and roosting on the rocks.

Stopped for a quick visit to Low Newton on the way back, but the flock of Twite I've seen at Long Nanny on my last two winter visits wasn't there this time. I saw Shorelarks near there a couple of years ago too. Have they been seen recently, does anyone know?

Was it you i spoke to this morning, you were there with your mate, i was the bloke in the impreza.

Pleased that you managed to see the hawfinch, like yourself it was a first for me and i was quite taken aback at the size of them having previously had the image of a finch sized bird in my mind.
I also then headed to Stag rocks, first time visit there but due to the strong cold wind i stayed in the car. Didn't see any divers but the eiders are a favourite of mine so i was pleased with them anyway.
I then headed to Cresswell and again the peregrine showed itself and gave wonderful views and a bit of a fright to the oystercatcher that it was pursuing.
Although i would like to see the peregrine take its prey, i have to be honest and say that after quite a chase i was pleased that the oystercatcher escaped!
All in all quite a decent day.

ukjesters said:
Was it you i spoke to this morning, you were there with your mate, i was the bloke in the impreza.

Probably, I was the tall bearded bloke with a Newcastle United hat. My friend was brianfm, also from Birdforum. You're right about the wind being cold, but we managed to find a few places with a bit of shelter. A lovely day otherwise. Nice one seeing the Peregrine at Cresswell!

I've got my eye on a trip to holy island tomorrow, fancy the idea of being on the island after the tide has came in and just wandering about the place, i assume it will be very quiet at this time of year - people wise,

but...
will it be worth the trip bird wise as obviously if it is quiet, bird wise, i shall be stuck there with all my eggs in one basket as they say....any advice would be greatly appreciated ...as would any specific locations on the island for this time of year
regards
Rick

Had my day out at Holy Island yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it with a couple of firsts and an unknown!! (although it was a furry unknown and not a feathered one - and to the blokes out there ... stop those dirty thoughts!!!)

Began with a flock of about 50 snow buntings and then onto about 150 brent geese, these were my two firsts. The day then progressed to a sighting of a peregrine taking a redshank - managed a quick photo but typically on the wrong settings - i was just too excited at what i had just saw - 2 peregrines in two days for me now then.
Then saw out of the corner of my eye a white stoat like mammal, can somebody identify this for me please, i was wondering if it was an escaped ferret? I don't know if you can see it in the photo but it had a black tip to its tail.
Excellant day...

Attachments

• snow buntings.jpg
    snow buntings.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 125
  • snow buntings2.jpg
    snow buntings2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 123
  • brent geese.jpg
    brent geese.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 98
  • peregrine.jpg
    peregrine.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 106
  • identification needed.jpg
    identification needed.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 113
The white mammal is a stoat in its winter 'ermine'. I've only ever seen one like this.

You'll have to scratch Snow Bunting off your list though - they're Linnets.

martin

martin kitching said:
The white mammal is a stoat in its winter 'ermine'. I've only ever seen one like this.

You'll have to scratch Snow Bunting off your list though - they're Linnets.

martin

Thanks Martin, you saved my skin. I knew they weren't Snow Buntings but was going to jump in and suggest they were Twites.

level seven said:
Thanks Martin, you saved my skin. I knew they weren't Snow Buntings but was going to jump in and suggest they were Twites.

Twite would show less white in wing/tail and look very streaky on the back. Also they wouldn't have the chestnut colouration that can be seen on most of the birds. Some of them show obviously grey heads as well (also a feature of linnet rather than twite). A good feature of Twite is the very compact shape - I always think that in flight they look like they don't have a head or neck, just a face stuck on the front of the body.

I'm glad I saw the photos before trying to incorporate Holy Island into my team's bird race itinerary for tomorrow :D

martin

Do you realise how long i studied my books ...only to come up with the wrong bird..lol...this was even after looking at the birds in flight on video om my birdguides dvd...and i still came up with the wrong birds...cheers for the correct i.d martin, there is no substitute for experience.

regards
Rick

Brian Bullough said:
Don't worry you had a good day out, and did very well to capture the Stoat it's years since I have seen one in ermine.
brian :t:

The only one I've ever seen in ermine was about a year ago when it ran across the road in front of my car near Bothal Pond. You were very lucky to have the opportunity to photograph this

martin

ukjesters said:
Do you realise how long i studied my books ...only to come up with the wrong bird..lol...this was even after looking at the birds in flight on video om my birdguides dvd...and i still came up with the wrong birds...cheers for the correct i.d martin, there is no substitute for experience.

regards
Rick

Ahh the perils and pitfalls of birding, don't worry Rick we all do it and it adds to the experience.

Congratulations on the Ermine i have never seen one of these , im reet envious.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back