• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (5 Viewers)

June, yes you do need a key for the hide which you can purchase for £6 from th NWT centre in gosforth, but i would double check with them to make sure that they have some in stock - (0191) 284 6884, the kingfisher was there from about mid morning to early afternoon but as i said this is only my first visit to the hide and i'm sure that someone else can be a bit more specific than me about when best to see them and the otters.

Gary, likewise with your shots, excellant mate, but then it would be a disappointment if we couldn't get something half decent with all the gear that we have got between the pair of us, especially when the subject posed so long for us..although she did take quite a few meal breaks...lol

I also see that your nimble fingers have beaten me and you have already replied to June...good job i'm used to coming second then eh!!!!

Regards
Rick

Last edited:
I don't know Rick, you won the race to post the photos.

As for the ornothological advice. There will be a test before the end of term.

Last edited:
Vipers said:
I don't know Rick you won the race to post the photos.

As for the ornothological advice. There will be a test before the end of term.

Please, please please make it multiple choice!!!!!

Stewart J. said:
Yo Richie dare I ask "why you can't get out at the moment"? Just home tonight and hoping to go for the RLB at Brampton tomorrow, good lady dosent know about the extended shopping trip yet?

I'll sneak the wellie's in the boot!

Stewart

i cant exactly take my huge van with me after work, or else i would!

plus it's dark when i finish :(

Nice Kingfisher shots guys, havent been to Big Waters in years.

Nice morning out here in the west and had Song Thrush, Great Tit and Robin singing and a flock of 50 Lesser Redpolls in birch trees behind house.

Just over the border I know, but had crippling views of the juv Rough-legged Buzzard this afternoon at Denton Fell for a good 10-12 minutes perched and flying. My last veiw of it was almost overhead when it flew low over Denton Wood heading east after being repeatedly mobbed by 2 Common Buzzards. That could put it over the border into Northumbs as its barely 3/4 mile.

If anyones going for it and want exact details (Birdguide listing only give map ref for parking car) pm or e-mail me, late afternoon seems to be best, 15.30hrs yesterday and 15.11hrs today, a creature of habit! There is a good 20-25 minute walk to best viewing point.

Stewart

June Atkinson said:
What time of day do you reckon is the best for seeing the kingfisher?

I've seen it on my last three visits since just before Christmas and they've all been early afternoon. From what others have said though, it seems to be around at all times.

I've been visiting the hide fairly regularly for nearly three years but don't remember it being so reliable before as it is now.

"I don't know Rick, you won the race to post the photos."

You both beat me to it, both on upload speed and quality of snaps, but this one isn't bad for a beginner!

My excuse is I had to learn how to reduce the size of the pic, so I hope this works OK.

Hope you've forgiven me for calling you an astrologer, Rick!

Kit

Attachments

• Kingfisher7.jpg
    Kingfisher7.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 109
hectorprotector said:

You both beat me to it, both on upload speed and quality of snaps, but this one isn't bad for a beginner!

My excuse is I had to learn how to reduce the size of the pic, so I hope this works OK.

Kit

Kit,
That is a great capture of the kingfisher and also in a different pose from mine and garys', so is all the more interesting,well done.

And yes you are forgiven!!!
Regards
Russell G. LOL

hectorprotector said:

Kit

It was nice to meet you today Kit. Thats a very nice shot and an unusual pose. Its a shame you missed the Otters today, but thats just a good excuse to go back again. I was going to see if Rick reads palms aswell. ;)

Vipers said:
It was nice to meet you today Kit. Thats a very nice shot and an unusual pose. Its a shame you missed the Otters today, but thats just a good excuse to go back again. I was going to see if Rick reads palms aswell. ;)

She really is a proper little poser isn't she!?

Great to meet you both, and no doubt see you at her next photo-shoot!

Kit

Vipers said:
On the way back to the car I went to try an get photos of four Goosander that Rick (ukjesters) had seen at the public end of the lake. .
Been up to 14 Goosander on Killingworth lake .

Nice photos of the Kingfisher guys, it really is showing well and is very tolerent of people in the hide.

Had a quick run up to Prestwick Carr this afternoon around 1.30. Followed Keith's directions and they were spot-on.

Got amazing views of a very pale SEO hunting on the far side of the field, venturing about halfway towards the track where I was and perching on the fence. Was active for a good 30 mins.

I think there was another one with the one I saw, by the hedge on the far side when I arrived but I didn't see it again.

I was very, very pleased.

Also 2 Golds, many Greens, 3 Bulls, Chaffs, YHammers, Lapwing. Possible Buzzard behind the field the SEO was in up towards the main road.

Had a quick visit to Holywell and St Marys yesterday the pond was quiet but were suprised to see one of the Mealy(common)Redpolls reported a few days earlier.It was in bushes in the SE corner of the reserve where the path comes close to the pond.The bird was flushed thereafter kept quietly to low cover but did allow close views.Highlight for St marys were a pair of Peregrines circling the lighthouse :t:

On a visit to my local patch today St mary's, I was shocked to discover the sheer mess that has been made of the North Bay headland area by so called "improvement " works by North Tyneside Council. The only warning I had of these was a very small article in the local paper back in December (which didn't show any plans or explain what was being done). The contractors where busy dumping boulders onto the beach as I was there. Which I presume are for sea defences along the cliff. And " Currys Point " look like something from the Somme..I'm hopping mad at this loss of habitat, which in the past has been good for a number of bird species. e.g.. Rock pipit (littoralis) Bluethroat, Black Redstart,
I just wish I had known how much damage was going to be done so I could have lodged a complaint.. Too late now I know.. :-C :-C

Attachments

• curryspoint.jpg
    curryspoint.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 92
  • point.jpg
    point.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 102
  • boulders.jpg
    boulders.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 106
LSB said:
On a visit to my local patch today St mary's, I was shocked to discover the sheer mess that has been made of the North Bay headland area by so called "improvement " works by North Tyneside Council.

There were signs of this work starting when I was there on Friday. I suppose it won't look quite as horrendous when it's been done and things tidied up, but let's hope the cure doesn't turn out to be worse than the disease!

looks a mess darren!

keep us posted, and take pics for records - incase they dont put it back better than it was before..........

Thanks for the support guys. I know in the long term it should look better, but why spoil a perfectly good small section of coastline just so people can have better access.. :C

Well that's North Tyneside council for you! I reckon they will have had umpteen meetings over many months to plan this! They appear to have made a fine mess of other parts of the bourgh over the years so no surprises really. Hope the birds are back soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back