• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

mosstrooper said:
That is odd Keith, as you have to carry / show your membership card at the reserve.
I will have to ask if they are relaxing their own rules.

Mossy

As a member I will certainly be checking that out because I have never been told of any change of rules. In fact I am constantly reminded that I should have my card in my possession when visiting the reserve.

Dunno if it's a change of rules per se, but this fact came out during a casual conversation I was having with a couple of birders I ran into at st Mary's over the winter.

I happened to mention then that I was still waiting for a key, and both of them - independently - reached into their pockets, took out hide keys, and said "I got one, and I'm not a member..."

They simply weren't asked for proof of membership.

Note: for the sake of clarity, I'm not talking about being on the reserve - yep, you still need your membership card for that - but about buying a key from the office at the Hancock (which is of course now closed for the next two years).

Hide keys are not available for purchase at the reserve, despite what the posters say.

Last edited:
Small numbers of common birds returning to St Mary's Islamd past few days eg BHGs have gone from a few to 60, and Redshank from 1-2 to 9 today.

Others odds and sods this week incl Goldeneye, Little Gull, Gropper plus small movements of Swifts on most days incl c100 which arrived ahead of rain on Monday

Upper Coquetdale/Forest drive

First class afternoon,started above Alwinton,Common Sandpiper with newly hatched chicks,Peregrine,Kestrel,Merlin mobbing a Common Buzzard,Red Leg Partridge, five Brown Hares,they seem to be doing well on the range since they stopped the hunting with dogs,the range barrier was open so I took the short cut to Redesdale.Forest Drive we had Crossbill,Green Woodpecker,more Common Buzzard and suprise suprise in broad daylight a hunting Barn Owl.

Trip to the Farne Islands, Staple island and Inner Farne on Saturday 17th brought all the birds one would expect but even more exciting was the find of 7 White Beaked Dolphins swiming fairly close to the boat during the journey between the Islands. The wow factor at work. One young Dolphin breached right out of the sea. Only blot on the day was everyone having to watch a speedboat full of divers, of the human kind, race though the area where the Dolphins were seen. No excuses as the sea was like a mill pond so the Dolphins were clearly visible. I am actually taking this matter up and have asked for some advice from a relevent agency. I am sure the guys in the speed boat will have an excuse but I reckon they need to know their antics are not ignored.

patmartin said:
First class afternoon,started above Alwinton,Common Sandpiper with newly hatched chicks,Peregrine,Kestrel,Merlin mobbing a Common Buzzard,Red Leg Partridge, five Brown Hares,they seem to be doing well on the range since they stopped the hunting with dogs,the range barrier was open so I took the short cut to Redesdale.Forest Drive we had Crossbill,Green Woodpecker,more Common Buzzard and suprise suprise in broad daylight a hunting Barn Owl.

Glad to hear you had a good day out in my neck of the woods. We rescued a brood of common sands from a cattle grid last week, the chicks were fantastic, massive feet!

Just a quick point on the hares, the Border Hunt used to hunt foxes, not hares, the Newcastle Beagles only hunted the Coquet once in a blue moon. We have noticed an increase in the numbers of riparian species with broods, and leverets this year. There has been an increase in legal predator control in the valley and the local wildlife seems to be responding well.

Rob

If just been informed by txt that Eggers have been and raided the Roseate Terns on coquet Island!!!!!!!! :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm:
B******S

LSB said:
If just been informed by txt that Eggers have been and raided the Roseate Terns on coquet Island!!!!!!!! :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm:
B******S

Yes that was my thought too! Article in the journal. Apparently there is a £1,000 reward for information etc. Security is to be tightened. Bit like shuting the barn door after the horse......... However, isn't it sad that in this day and age so much time and money has to be spent protecting wildlife from selfish scum.

RobF said:
Glad to hear you had a good day out in my neck of the woods. We rescued a brood of common sands from a cattle grid last week, the chicks were fantastic, massive feet!

Just a quick point on the hares, the Border Hunt used to hunt foxes, not hares, the Newcastle Beagles only hunted the Coquet once in a blue moon. We have noticed an increase in the numbers of riparian species with broods, and leverets this year. There has been an increase in legal predator control in the valley and the local wildlife seems to be responding well.

Rob

Is there anyone involved in predator control who actually understands the meaning of the word 'legal'?!

barn owl at holywell today, about an hour ago in fact. Wonderful views of it hunting over the scrub at side of fields in farm area. made my day.

The dreaded Midge

Its that time of the year again folks,last night the weather conditions were perfect on the Northumbrian uplands for the pest of all pests,the dreaded "MIDGE" .A word of warning,make sure you've got some good insect repellant and preferably a face net to back it up,leave no bare skin uncovered,trouser legs tucked in and sleeves rolled down,and remember every one you splatt,there will be 20,000 at its funeral.Pat

patmartin said:
Its that time of the year again folks,last night the weather conditions were perfect on the Northumbrian uplands for the pest of all pests,the dreaded "MIDGE" .A word of warning,make sure you've got some good insect repellant and preferably a face net to back it up,leave no bare skin uncovered,trouser legs tucked in and sleeves rolled down,and remember every one you splatt,there will be 20,000 at its funeral.Pat

i have been getting attacked for months now!

cant stand the little pests.

Best bird of the day!

.. for those of you who are familiar with Wallsend; driving down Rosehill Bank today on way to said town when to my amazement a vivid blue flash shot right to left across the road. I've driven that road hundreds of times but never dreamt of seeing a real live Kingfisher in the middle of the day. Certainly lifed my spirits!

John F

I know that bank well John having lived in Wallsend for my first twenty-odd years. But I've never been fortunate to see a Kingfisher there - well done you :t:
Speaking of kingfishers...I've YET to see one this year :h?: I'm off out for a full day tomorrow seeing as it's my last day off work so fingers crossed!
Haven't decided where to go yet......Harthope? Farnes? Gateshead for the Red Kites? So many decisions.......

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back