• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

mILLYg said:
The stork was still at the top of the pylon at Linton this morning at 0605 hrs. It's the pylon north of the railway crossing next to the disused road. The bird is not ringed according to another birder there.
It's moved to a different power line now. It's on a pylon along the River Lyne half way between Linton and Ellington villages - nowhere near Linton Pond.

Alan Seaton said:
It's moved to a different power line now. It's on a pylon along the River Lyne half way between Linton and Ellington villages - nowhere near Linton Pond.

Presumably the same bird has now moved south - reported via Birdguides as flying south across the Tyne at Newburn at 13.15.

Hi all
I had the White Stork this morning around 11.40am when it flew west. ( Guess it is the same bird over the Toon) Its not ringed and is a good time of year for a genuine vagrant. Ive ticked it.. ;) ;)
Also dipped on the reported Little Egret at Amble Braid..

Attachments

• white Stork.jpg
    white Stork.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 57
  • white-stork-3.jpg
    white-stork-3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 71
  • white stork 2.jpg
    white stork 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 68
Few days up the caravan earlier in the week. Beautiful day up the Breamish Valley with loads of stonechat, grey wags, dippers and a kingfisher. Had to move an Adder which was lying in the middle of the road sunbathing.

Attachments

• april 002.jpg
    april 002.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 73
  • april 006.jpg
    april 006.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 64
  • april 018.jpg
    april 018.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 68
  • april 021.jpg
    april 021.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 71
LSB said:
Also dipped on the reported Little Egret at Amble Braid..

Darren, the Little Egret was reported as being seen at 13:10, that was just after we were there. :C

I called in at Bothal pond this afternoon and had White Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover and three Swallows.

Last edited:
Vipers said:
Darren, the Little Egret was reported as being seen at 13:10, that was just after we were there. :C

I called in at Bothal pond this afternoon and had White Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover and three Swallows.

Cheers Vipers,
Typical isnt it. I bet it was round the bend that we were unable to see round. Nice one I still need Common Sand and LRP
LSB

Last edited:
LSB said:
Cheers Vipers,
Typical isnt it. I bet it was round the bend that we were unable to see round. Nice one I still need Common Sand and LRP
LSB
The little egret had been seen feeding on the main river opposite the Braid at about mid-day, but it was nowhere to be seen when I looked for it just after one. I reckoned that the rising tide had pushed it off and I looked up the Old Waters from the jetty in front of the boat club. Sure enough it was there but distant, with a heron. It was probably in the same place when Gary was looking for it.

Alan Seaton said:
The little egret had been seen feeding on the main river opposite the Braid at about mid-day, but it was nowhere to be seen when I looked for it just after one. I reckoned that the rising tide had pushed it off and I looked up the Old Waters from the jetty in front of the boat club. Sure enough it was there but distant, with a heron. It was probably in the same place when Gary was looking for it.

Cheers Alan
I was with Gary at the time and we didnt see it. I guess the tide pushed it back into view, aww well you cant win em all.
Lsb

Common Sand's are back up the top of the Coquet. House Martins and Swallows are now in good numbers, no sign of Ring Ouzel yet in their usual haunts.

Rob

Very quiet at St Mary's/Seaton Sluice/Blyth today (presumably the stiff breeze was keeping the birds down) with only "usual suspects" like reed buntings, linnets, meadow pipits about - no sign of any migrants.

But I did see someone learn a painful lesson today - the lesson that for every low tide, there'll be a high tide along in a little while..!

;)

Attachments

• wetcar.jpg
    wetcar.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 122
  • wetcar2.jpg
    wetcar2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 107
Keith Reeder said:
Very quiet at St Mary's/Seaton Sluice/Blyth today (presumably the stiff breeze was keeping the birds down) with only "usual suspects" like reed buntings, linnets, meadow pipits about - no sign of any migrants.

But I did see someone learn a painful lesson today - the lesson that for every low tide, there'll be a high tide along in a little while..!

;)

Thats just made my day........Great one Keith :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

Keith Reeder said:

;)

You would think living on the Island he would have known better ??
perhaps its an insurance job.
I saw this guy one day take off a stranded couple with one pair of waders.ladies first,then the guy who had great problem even getting the things on.
there is always someone who gets caught ,I love the look of horror as they come around from the back of the lighthouse to see the tide in,but thats just me !!!
nice one
Brian

I had a trip upto Harthope Valley today. Still a bit early for migrants, but did see Wheatear, Chiffchaff, Buzzard, Peregrine, lots of willow Warblers and Red Grouse all over the place. The stars of today though had to be the five Ring Ouzels in the Hawsen Burn area.

Attachments

• Ring Ouzel 1 BF.jpg
    Ring Ouzel 1 BF.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Ring Ouzel 2 BF.jpg
    Ring Ouzel 2 BF.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 64
I intend to visit Northumberland in the first few days of may on my way from Scotland to Suffolk. Where should I stay as a central place to do a couple of days birding and where should I go? Thanks in advance.

Pluvius said:
I intend to visit Northumberland in the first few days of may on my way from Scotland to Suffolk. Where should I stay as a central place to do a couple of days birding and where should I go? Thanks in advance.
You could do worse than go B&B in the Amble/Warkworth/Alnwick area. It would put you right on top of Coquet Island (Roseate terns[probably a bit soon in early May], other terns, puffins etc, etc), Druridge Bay with its various reserves (Cresswell, Druridge Pools, East Chevington, Hauxley).

It would also be handy for going inland (30-40 minutes) for the Cheviots (Harthope/Ingram Valleys) and northwards to the coast at Bamburgh, the Farnes and Holy Island (40 minutes).

Attachments

• Bamburgh Castle seen from Holy Island.jpg
    Bamburgh Castle seen from Holy Island.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Coquet Island from the south pier.jpg
    Coquet Island from the south pier.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back