• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Got a few photos of the Spoonbill tonight at castle island ,

Attachments

• northum 013.jpg
    northum 013.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 57
  • northum 016.jpg
    northum 016.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 64
A quick trip around East Chevington, Druridge Pools and Hauxley today being chauffeured by a friend of mine produced... Highlights
Chevvy
Little Gull(imm), Reed Warbler, Sandwich, Common, Arctic Terns, Great Crested Grebe..

Druridge Pools
Ringed Plover 8+ Dunlin 2 , Whooper Swan, Yellow Wagtail and a Distant Ruff (Reeve) no sign of the hybrid Green WingedXCommon Teal.

Hauxley
Very Quiet but good views of Tree Sparrows. Shame we'd got home by the time we heard about the Spoonbill but you cant win em all..

Attachments

• Pheasant.jpg
    Pheasant.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 49
  • Gadwall.jpg
    Gadwall.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 49
Spoonbill

Beautiful bird giving great views. Year tick for barnacle goose was a nice bonus.

Lovely to meet millyg and keith bradley also.

Attachments

• Spoonbill&Gulls.jpg
    Spoonbill&Gulls.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Spoonbill2.JPG
    Spoonbill2.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Spoonbill3.JPG
    Spoonbill3.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 67
  • BarnacleGoose.JPG
    BarnacleGoose.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Farne Islands

I wonder if anyone could recommend the best time to visit the Farne Islands to photograph birds.
I am planning to visit next year.
Thanks
Colin

Harthope

Got there at Stupid o'clock after getting up at Stupider o'clock (not quite the word Mrs M used as I tried to sneak out). Nonethless, well worth it (getting there not leaving her!).

Life Ticks of Cuckoos (and one followed by its 'maternal' Meadow Pipit), Garden Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher, as well as loads more 'stuff' on the path to Langleeford Hope.

Hawsen Burn had Wheatear, Stonechat, Ring Ouzels and Year Tick of Whinchat(s).

A brilliant 3 hours before most of the world was out of bed.

Road in had Green Woodpeckers and Red Partridge (flying, not driving!).

Sounds good Gordon :t:

First thing IS the best time of day - no idiots emerged from their pits then LOL ;)

I'm hoping to get up there myself next weekend as I start my jollies Saturday 2nd for a week o:) Getting a Cuckoo and Green Woodie would please me but I'm gonna be greedy and try for two Lifers too - Ring Ouzel and Red Grouse :cool:
Neil doesn't know it yet but I have a few days birding planned! Including a trip over to the Farnes :clap:

Is it still there does anyone know? And where exactly is Castle Island?

thanks!

John F

Don't know if it's still there John, but Castle Island is an island in the Wansbeck, downstream of the railway bridge, lying between North Seaton on the north side and West Sleekburn on the south bank. The spoonbill was visible from the Sleekburn side yesterday. as it was screened from view from North Seaton by the island. You can get access to the south side from the allotments behind the terraces to the east of the level crossing at Sleekburn, or to the north side by taking the footpath down the dean near St John's church graveyard (opposite the Elephant pub).

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....m=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=407&multimap.y=153

Last edited:
Had a busy couple of days but have seen some good birds, had Grasshopper Warbler reeling next to a layby off the A68 between Rochester and Byrness.

Peregrine came to alarm us by a nesting crag (we were more than 1km away).

Sedge Warbler seem to be everywhere, in scrubby willow on the moor edge where we've never had them before.

Best of all though, we came across a pair of goldies with chicks on a moor road today, they are brilliant chicks, this little chap was sat right in the middle of the road so I moved it across.

Rob

Attachments

• DSCN1848.JPG
    DSCN1848.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1852.JPG
    DSCN1852.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back