• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not sure if this is a Chiffchaff ??? (1 Viewer)

Donald Talbott

Well Known Member.
Taken this morning Watermead Country Park Leicestershire. 21/4/2024 Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff 5.jpg
    Chiffchaff 5.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Chiffchaff 26.jpg
    Chiffchaff 26.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 90
Image 2. is excellent Don, for showing the wing formula. If you look at the “steps in the wing” starting with the 1st which is p3 you’ll note there are 4 steps (emarginations) going up the wing…this means Chiffy, if you only have 3 steps this will mean Willow Warbler.👍

Image 2. is excellent Don, for showing the wing formula. If you look at the “steps in the wing” starting with the 1st which is p3 you’ll note there are 4 steps (emarginations) going up the wing…this means Chiffy, if you only have 3 steps this will mean Willow Warbler.👍
KenM - not sure I get this - could you illustrate with arrows or soemthing (I am only seeing 3 steps). SW

KenM - not sure I get this - could you illustrate with arrows or soemthing (I am only seeing 3 steps). SW

I don’t possess the requisite IT skills for that seawatcher, however if we agree on step 1. it does got to step 4. at the top if you look carefully you’ll note that P5 is still projecting to the end whereby P4 has curved into it’s (p5) shadow.
Hopefully it doesn’t sound as “clear as mud” and you’ll see it.👍

See attached, Seawatcher.
I've labelled the first six primaries. Chiffchaff has emarginations on P3-6, Willow Warbler on P3-5 only. The point where the pale leading edge of the feather apparently 'disappears' is the emargination - on a feather without an emargination you would be able to see the entire straight edge of the feather in this view, as in P7 immediately above P6. See also here for a clear example of the difference between the two species:
This is a diagnostic feature in the hand or if visible in a good photograph, but very rarely of much use in the field, where you are better off concentrating (assuming the bird is not calling or, even better, singing) on the combination of wing length, face pattern, and other supporting features.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421_161925_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_161925_Chrome.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 41
See attached, Seawatcher.
I've labelled the first six primaries. Chiffchaff has emarginations on P3-6, Willow Warbler on P3-5 only. The point where the pale leading edge of the feather apparently 'disappears' is the emargination - on a feather without an emargination you would be able to see the entire straight edge of the feather in this view, as in P7 immediately above P6. See also here for a clear example of the difference between the two species:
This is a diagnostic feature in the hand or if visible in a good photograph, but very rarely of much use in the field, where you are better off concentrating (assuming the bird is not calling or, even better, singing) on the combination of wing length, face pattern, and other supporting features.
Thanks Richard, I got confused by the term steps. As a ringer, I have seen more emarginations in 40+ years of birding than I have had hot dinners. Just never called them steps before. Doh! :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back