• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not Tapioca pudding (1 Viewer)

Eric222

United Kingdom
My wife has been fascinated by some weird structures that have been appearing overnight in fields all month and wondered what they are.

Yellow blob.JPG

From a distance it could be animal vomit, then on closer inspection it looks as if clusters of eggs have been deposited up the grass stems.
It starts off bright yellow, then fades over a day or two to something very reminiscent of school Tapioca pudding. After a few more days all has turned black.

A few hours searching suggests this is neither animal, plant nor fungi, I think it is a single celled organism Mucilago crustacea.
I have struggled to find more than an odd paragraph and would certainly appreciate it if anyone can point me where to look to learn more about it.

It is something I have occasionally seen some other years, though never anything like as prolific as this autumn.

Has this exceptionally warm October produced an abundance of anything unusual where you live?

From both your description and photo, the first thing I would think of would be slime-moulds. But, since you already have a possible ID (which is a slime-mould), and given that I don't know anything about them, I guess I can leave you to Google...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back