• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November in North Devon (what can I see?) (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I'll be spending some time in North Devon/Exmoor in November and was wondering if there are any places, birds, or animals I shouldn't miss?

Are there any estuaries full of wintering birds? seal colonies with pups? places to sea watch?

Please recommend..

Paul.

:bounce:

There are quite a few places to go birding. Most are centred around the Taw Torridge estuary near Barnstaple. These are Northam Burrows, Braunton Burrows, Sherpa Marsh, Islay Marsh and a few others. There is also RSPB Andrew's Wood (not mine!) near Georgeham. Another spot is Upper Tamar Lakes which is good for small waders and ducks. Hartland Point might be a bit too late in November as it is primarily a sea watching site but may hold a few very late migrants. I am not sure if I did, I think I heard or read that Choughs are possible on North Devon from Wales, so any headland is good in that case.

I might be able to give more info if you want. I admit I have not birded North Devon but I have lots of info at hand. I plan to do Northam Burrows and Islay Marsh soon.

May I agree with Andrew on the Tamar lakes, you should see some pretty good birds there as that was my first tree creeper spot, and there were Ruffs but I definately dipped on that one, Hartland has linnets to my knowledge, plus the possibility of a Chough, and all rock dwelling birds, if too stormy try Duckpool instead, just a tad nearer Cornwall, as definately no-one to spoil any chances of the odd rareity.
Never been too lucky at Barnstable, as that is very tidal, and you'd need to be there at high tide for any real birding benefits.
What I would reccomend it trawling the north coast from car park to car park, avoiding the notorious holiday spots, as the unrecognised areas are very good for the undisturbed sites and birding.
Done it many times, and watched the marine life too, super place in the off season, promise, Nina.

paul

Try Bursden moor good Hen Harrier roost not sure when they turn up they are there Dec so may be their in nov, also Merlin, Barn Owl, and Short Eared Owl are normally about as well

Good luck Andy

Andrew

The Barn owl at Bursden moor were seen regularly last winter nov to mar at least mainly early morming or dusk, but i have seen Barn owl this year at BOWLING GREEN MARSH, Ashcombe and Powderham park, mainly during darkness out looking for owls , the BGM bird being the exception , their is also a regular Barn owl near the the fire headquartera near Ebford and also one around Exminster Marsh in the early part of the year.

Andy

I plan to go to BGM or Ex Marshes at last light in the shorter days because last winter I saw two Owl species when I was looking for the Dark Breasted Barn Owl (dipped on that).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back