• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NRW: Ringing permits (1 Viewer)

Minto

Hi All,
has anyone heard that NRW( natural resources wales) are now apparently charging a fee for BTO ringers to ring on Forestry Commission land, and access won't be allowed without permit, fifty pounds I hear.

This new entity is all about making money and recent developments don't bode well for anyone wishing to survey wildlife on their land(our land really but they seem to forget that).
From destroying goshawk sites in season to spraying clearfalls with nesting nightjars these idiots break every wildlife law with no comebacks, due to having pet police officers seconded to them.
If this is the case maybe people who ring , survey and generally gather all the data should start charging these agencies for the data we supply them.
They are also changing license conditions so that anyone wishing to climb to nests has to have a climbing license ( at great cost to the individual).
You can guarantee one thing if it impacts on the individual the Welsh government are first in the queue to adopt any draconian measures, how much wildlife is going to suffer is anyones guess as no one will be allowed in to survey.

From what I've heard from friends in Wales, unless things change dramatically, wildlife's in for a pretty rough ride in Wales over the next few years! Disgusted to hear their charging ringers to survey!

From what I've heard from friends in Wales, unless things change dramatically, wildlife's in for a pretty rough ride in Wales over the next few years! Disgusted to hear their charging ringers to survey!

I think you are right Luke. Last year NRW disturbed a local Goshawk site, even though they stopped work when the rather large armchair size nest was pointed out to them, this season the birds have failed to breed there for the first time in 15 years.
The welsh Honey Buzzard population will pretty soon find itself surrounded by some of the highest turbines on mainland Britain, this despite them being known for by the Honey Buzzard " expert "and NRW.
don't waste your time complaining though , as the people who work in NRW licensing are just clerks and can't hold up their endof a conversation regarding wildlife, sad that the wrong people are in these jobs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back