• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oaxaca (and one day in Chiapas) Birding Trip for December, 2022 (1 Viewer)

lgonz1008

United States
Putting together a trip to this endemic rich region of Mexico just before the Christmas holidays from December 10-18, 2022. The main goal is to see as many Mexican endemics in that time and even with just one more person joining me trip cost would be less than $2,000 per person! (If I can have 3 join me, it would be less than $1500 per person!).

Here is the sample itinerary and I am doing this with a guide I've birded with in the Yucatan region but has recently expanded to other areas of Mexico and has birded the country extensively.

Itinerary:
  • Day 1: Arrival day
  • Day 2: Cumbre Ixtepeji
  • Day 3: Capulalpam de Mendez
  • Day 4: Teotitlan del Valle
  • Day 5: San José del Pacifico-Pluma Hidalgo
  • Day 6: Huatulco and road to Juchitan
  • Day 7: Sierra Tolostique
  • Day 8: Trail to Armando Zebadua and adjacent areas
  • Day 9: Departure day

If anyone is interested, let me know and let's see if we can get this great trip off the ground!

The timing is a little off for me. I am going at the end of October. Want to combine birding with Day-of-the Dead festival the first couple days of November. Then birding and a trip to Palenque pyramid.

I was in Oaxaca this past January. I might be interested in going again. I am a bird photographer. Who is the guide for this trip? Additionally, can you tell me what's included in the trip and what's not? Cheers Chris.

I was in Oaxaca this past January. I might be interested in going again. I am a bird photographer. Who is the guide for this trip? Additionally, can you tell me what's included in the trip and what's not? Cheers Chris.
Hi Chris,

The guide's name is Joel Ortega, I birded with him in the Yucatan area that has led trips to Chiapas and Oaxaca in the last few years.

This trip cost includes the following: transportation, 8 hotel nights in double occupation, food, water and snacks, entrance fee in Yagul, access to a private trail in Huatulco, local guides. If you want single occupation let me know and I can check with him how much extra that would cost.

The trip is mostly a birding trip but I always travel with a camera so we will obviously make stops to take a few shots of certain species that are showing off or are really sought-after.

Hi Chris,

The guide's name is Joel Ortega, I birded with him in the Yucatan area that has led trips to Chiapas and Oaxaca in the last few years.

This trip cost includes the following: transportation, 8 hotel nights in double occupation, food, water and snacks, entrance fee in Yagul, access to a private trail in Huatulco, local guides. If you want single occupation let me know and I can check with him how much extra that would cost.

The trip is mostly a birding trip but I always travel with a camera so we will obviously make stops to take a few shots of certain species that are showing off or are really sought-after.
What is the arrival and departure airport?

Thanks for the info. It's a little early for me to commit to this trip. I'm planning a trip to Uganda for June - July. I'll let you know later if I can make this trip. Chris

Thanks for the info. It's a little early for me to commit to this trip. I'm planning a trip to Uganda for June - July. I'll let you know later if I can make this trip. Chris
Good luck in Uganda, hopefully you can get some great shots of Shoebill and some Rift Valley endemics.

For anyone interested, I already have someone who said they were going to join me, so I still have 2 more slots open.

Putting together a trip to this endemic rich region of Mexico just before the Christmas holidays from December 10-18, 2022. The main goal is to see as many Mexican endemics in that time and even with just one more person joining me trip cost would be less than $2,000 per person! (If I can have 3 join me, it would be less than $1500 per person!).

Here is the sample itinerary and I am doing this with a guide I've birded with in the Yucatan region but has recently expanded to other areas of Mexico and has birded the country extensively.

Itinerary:
  • Day 1: Arrival day
  • Day 2: Cumbre Ixtepeji
  • Day 3: Capulalpam de Mendez
  • Day 4: Teotitlan del Valle
  • Day 5: San José del Pacifico-Pluma Hidalgo
  • Day 6: Huatulco and road to Juchitan
  • Day 7: Sierra Tolostique
  • Day 8: Trail to Armando Zebadua and adjacent areas
  • Day 9: Departure day

If anyone is interested, let me know and let's see if we can get this great trip off the ground!
Same questions as 49Bentley- tour leader and what's included. Never been to Oaxaca.

Same questions as 49Bentley- tour leader and what's included. Never been to Oaxaca.
Hi MClay,

This trip cost includes the following: transportation, 8 hotel nights in double occupation, food, water and snacks, entrance fee in Yagul, access to a private trail in Huatulco, local guides. If you want single occupation it would be $350.

Arrival would be Oaxaca International Airport, Oaxaca
Departure would be Ángel Albino Corzo International Airport (Tuxtla Gutierrez International Airport), Chiapas

Trip was cancelled due to the other participant backing out and focusing on a trip to Colombia next year, hopefully another time in the future.

wondering about colombia -- is anyone planning to head there in february '23?
What time frame would you be looking at a Columbia trip?
I'm not doing the trip, due to a potential trip to Kenya I plan to do. This is something the guide is putting together and it should be from late March to mid April. It's 2 portions, first 10 days from Bogota to Medellin and then 6 days in the Santa Marta region.

If you want to learn more about it, I can pass along your email addresses to the guide and work it out with him.

I'm not doing the trip, due to a potential trip to Kenya I plan to do. This is something the guide is putting together and it should be from late March to mid April. It's 2 portions, first 10 days from Bogota to Medellin and then 6 days in the Santa Marta region.

If you want to learn more about it, I can pass along your email addresses to the guide and work it out with him.
Nah...just trying to figure out my potential international birding plans for 2024. Looking for a relatively cheap option as I am planning to do the Pantanal for 2045 and my 45th birthday.

Nah...just trying to figure out my potential international birding plans for 2024. Looking for a relatively cheap option as I am planning to do the Pantanal for 2045 and my 45th birthday.
2045 or 2025? If it's the latter, let me know, I want to break into Brazil and 2025 seems like the earliest year I can plan for it.

oh sorry...2025, when I turn 45 :p

I was looking at the Rockjumper tour, which seems reasonably priced. Honestly it's as much about mammals as it is birds, although it will let me plug some major gaps in my Neotropical family list.

oh sorry...2025, when I turn 45 :p

I was looking at the Rockjumper tour, which seems reasonably priced. Honestly it's as much about mammals as it is birds, although it will let me plug some major gaps in my Neotropical family list.
Sounds like pretty good reasons, I know which company they book locally, if you want, as it gets closer to 2025, I can see what they are offering, maybe trips directly with them is cheaper.

I'm missing 3 of the South American 'Big 5', but 2 of those missing are very likely for a tour in that region, I'm birds first but mammals are a close second for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back