• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October 3rd Wicklow Trap List (1 Viewer)

Angus T

Some quality moths last night. Highlight is 2nd Irish record of Orange Sallow. I also got the first in 2002.(I don't know of any other records) My biggest haul of Blair's Shoulder-knot, another species first recorded in Ireland in 2002. A 2nd brood Flame and a brindled Ochre.

Weather started calm and 12C, by midnight temp had risen to 16C with gusts to 44mph, got rain after and by morning temp was down to 8C, calm and clear.

Ran 2 MV traps, with the Farmyard trap turned on at 21:30 when I saw the amount coming to garden trap.
Farmyard 181 moths of 22species
Garden 144 moths of 23 species, still have a plume to ID

*first of year/season

325 moths of 33 species.
0461 Ypsolopha ustella 1
0874 Blastobasis decolorella 2
1038 Acleris laterana 1
1048 Garden Rose Tortrix (Acleris variegana) 1
1076 Celypha lacunana 1
1760 Red-green Carpet (Chloroclysta siterata) 2
1764 Common Marbled Carpet (Chloroclysta truncata) 7
1767 Pine Carpet (Thera firmata) 5
1768 Grey Pine Carpet (Thera obeliscata) 6
1769 Spruce Carpet (Thera britannica) 2
1906 Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata) 1
2091 Dark Sword-grass (Agrotis ipsilon) 1
2098 Flame (Axylia putris) 1
2107 Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) 1
2123 Small Square-spot (Diarsia rubi) 1
2126 Setaceous Hebrew Character (Xestia c-nigrum) 141
2134 Square-spot Rustic (Xestia xanthographa) 16
2199 Common Wainscot (Mythimna pallens) 12
*2229 Brindled Ochre (Dasypolia templi) 1
2232 Black Rustic (Aporophyla nigra) 14
2240 Blair's Shoulder-knot (Lithophane leautieri hesperica) 6
*2245 Green-brindled Crescent (Allophyes oxyacanthae) 1
2247 Merveille du Jour (Dichonia aprilina) 5
2263 Red-line Quaker (Agrochola lota) 5
2265 Flounced Chestnut (Agrochola helvola) 2
2267 Beaded Chestnut (Agrochola lychnidis) 43
2270 Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa) 17
*2271 Orange Sallow (Xanthia citrago) 1* 2nd Irish record
2273 Pink-barred Sallow (Xanthia togata) 5
2306 Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa) 3
2361 Rosy Rustic (Hydraecia micacea) 9
2375 Large Wainscot (Rhizedra lutosa) 10

Does anyone want to buy a house in north Durham, I am seriously thinking of moving to Ireland. Offers around £100,000 considered. I had a grand total of 1 Red Green Carpet in my moth trap last night.

Disgusted of Low Westwood, aka.
Harry

Actually, Angus, I always find your catches very interesting and impressive, and significantly superior to mine! I've noticed that you're a farmer(?), would it be true to say (I hope you don't mind me asking) that you live in a fairly 'solitary' farmhouse, surrounded by countryside, and there's very little light pollution to compete with your traps? Or is it not that, and should we just all give up and move to Ireland? =)

Regards,

Johan

Harry, £100,000 wouldn't buy you a site here never mind a house,

and Johan I explained my location etc in a thread many months ago. I'll do a search and see if I can find it. But you're right in your thinking, but there is more to it than that I'm sure. And thanks for saying that you find the lists interesting. I'll try to post more up in future.

Last edited:
Posted on June 6th
As for habitat. Do the lists give you a clue? possibly not as they are quite diverse. Kind of ‘Jack of all Trades’ habitat here. My list of Irish firsts is I think Bizarre. Include Brown-veined Wainscot, Orange Sallow, Tawny Pinion (to be confirmed), Evergestis extimalis (migrant pyralid), Teleiodes luculella (oak feeding geleched)

Basically, my habitat is my farm of which half is a tillage farm growing cereals and potatoes and the other half was planted down to various tress in 1999. This young plantation must be great as the trees are there (oak, ash, acer, beech, birch etc) but also loads of grasses and broadleaf plants. The trees are starting to take over, so the understory of these grasses and plants will reduce. Also a lot of selfseeded sallow in woodland as well. Quite a few hedges on farm of which I’ve left many uncut for many years, A lot of Hazel, Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Bramble, Honeysuckle, Sallow, Oak, Ash, Alder, Elm (rootstock, grows for a few years then Dutch elm gets it) and Cherry. I think that covers most of species. Have lake in garden and a Pond beyond, hence record reed species and Brown China-mark. On top of all that the farm has had no chemical spray for couple years, loads of weeds in fields which is probably contributing to the good numbers of species such as Setaceous Hebrew Character.

Though not on coast, I’m a mile in, I seem to do well with migrant species also.

It isn’t just me that’s doing well here. A guy a few miles down the road started about same time as me (2 years ago) and has added Blair’s Shoulder-knot and Broom Tip to Irish least. The former is quite common as I recorded quite a few in the Autumn. I’ve never seen a Broom tip though.

Thread can be located here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=16562&page=2&highlight=Wicklow

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back