• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October moths 2009 (1 Viewer)

I have to say that M du J is reasonably common in my garden but I've never managed to find one on a tree trunk - and I've tried several times thought not admittedly with the assiduity of Nick. Harri obviously has a flare for it!
Ken

Ken,

Stop drinking that 'home brew' it's affecting your brain. My name is Harry, our friend Harri hasn't replied to this thread. lol

Harry

The last nights has been very bad for mothing with only one or less moths despite fairly good weather, so I'm gonna put the moth trap away for the winter :-C

I didn't put the trap away of course, I couldn't do it ;) Many nights are mothless , but you never know what will come eventually.

Last night was really good. Dark clouds, wet (but no rain), just a little wind and quite warm (10c) and I got a total of 14 moths!
New for me was 3 December moths and one I think is a Feathered Thorn.

Attachments

• december moth.JPG
    december moth.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 52
  • unknowned.JPG
    unknowned.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 45
Hi Nick

Do you have access to Larger Moths of Surrey by Graham Collins or Colin Plant's Larger Moths of the London area. The distribution maps published there should give you an idea about where to look. In Colin's book it only occurs in the north and south of the LNHS recording area (e.g. only two records for Middlesex and only on the chalk in south London). Colin's Hertfordshire moth book will give more up-to-date info for that county.

Martin

hello Martin

I've got Larger Moths of the London Area, published in 1989 so a little out of date as I've discovered a few times this year, I was thinking maybe Broxbourne Woods would be a good bet

Nick

Ken,

Stop drinking that 'home brew' it's affecting your brain. My name is Harry, our friend Harri hasn't replied to this thread. lol

Harry

Sorry, Harry. At least I didn't cally you hairy.
One of my friends posted an item about seeing a buzzard being 'mopped by crows' so I don't think I'm the only one who has senior moments :-O
Ken

BTW my name could be pronounced like "hurry", but I don't mind my name being pronounced like "Harry" either...:-O

Hi Nick

I know what you mean.

I don't have my Hertfordshire & Middlesex Branch of Butterfly Conservation Annual Reports handy but their web Archive gives one record:

Tues 26th October 2004 - A Merveille du Jour in the lighted subway connecting Bricket Wood Common to Garston Park.

Martin

No moth trapping at all recently due to moving house etc but a few moth encounters from our trip away last week....

Brick-Titchwell RSPB
Merveille du jour -Long sutton
Acleris kochiella-Sculthorpe NR
Feathered thorn
Spruce carpet
Pink barred sallow

The latter three were all drawn to the light from the living room.

Dave.

Sorry, I seem inadvertently to have created a rather Schizophrenic thread!
Hope you are over the 'flu, Harry!
Ken

Hello Ken,

I really wish it was so. Despite an electric blanket and a hot water bottle I shivered all night, I eventually got up with my throat feeling like it was lined with porcupine quills all pointed upwards, Couldn't face breakfast, but managed a small coffee.

Needed to do some shopping, found a phone bill on the hall floor, (bugger) Got into my van and switched it on, it sounded much louder than usual. My local exhaust centre told me that the two rear boxes on my exhaust needed replacing (double bugger) Just £350 he said, a good job the catalytic converter was ok. Can do it tomorrow at 10am. (tripple bugger). I know from experience that the week after my phone bill arrives my gas and electric bills will both come on the same day.

I think I'll write to all those who have sent me bills and inform them I have died and left all my small change to a Lap Dancer in Singapore.

I may get a bit of peace then. lol.

Anyway Ken, thanks for asking. lol.

Harry

The weather was rather good last night, although a rain shower caused a few problems. Not least it almost drowned my star species, as I just managed to identify a sallow as a Barred Sallow, before the process of drying out removed its remaining scales, so its in no fit state to photograph! Also had my first ever Feathered Thorn, Chestnut (tiny, thats a 5p, not 10p) and lots of Yellow-line Quakers. Also I suspect the individual in the bottom right of the quaker shot to be a Brick, the last photo is a close-up (sorry for the poor quality).

Good mothing

Sean

Attachments

• feathered.jpg
    feathered.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 45
  • chestnut.jpg
    chestnut.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ylqandb.jpg
    ylqandb.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 52
  • yellow-line.jpg
    yellow-line.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 40
  • brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 45
Quite good last night: a fresh cypress carpet was only my 2nd ever.
NFY were large wainscot and feathered thorn. Otherwise the usual bricks, chestnusts, RLQ and YLQ, MduJ, red-green carpet, satellite etc.
Ken

Attachments

• cypress carpet ex9048 (800).JPG
    cypress carpet ex9048 (800).JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN9025 (800).JPG
    DSCN9025 (800).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 34
  • feathered thorn ex9039 (800).JPG
    feathered thorn ex9039 (800).JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 37
  • large wainscot ex9035 (800).JPG
    large wainscot ex9035 (800).JPG
    110 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Last night I got a Feathered Thorn, two December Moths and a Yellow-line Quaker (happy to be corrected with the Quaker).

Attachments

• 2009-10-23 (1).JPG
    2009-10-23 (1).JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2009-10-23 (3).JPG
    2009-10-23 (3).JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 2009-10-23 (6).JPG
    2009-10-23 (6).JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 50
Hi
These are my first ever Moths, no idea what they are....Bought a Skinner Trap, on Wednesday, and put it out last night....any id help would be appreciated, have looked in a book, but still struggling to ID

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 58
  • b.png
    b.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 53
  • c.png
    c.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 48
  • d.png
    d.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 52
  • e.png
    e.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 50
Hi David,

It would help if you could upload larger photos in the future - I'm struggling to make some of these out! Nos 1 & 2 are either Grey or Blair's Shoulder Knot; no 3 looks a bit battered but may be The Brick; no 4 is Spruce Carpet and no 5 is Epiphyas postvittana.

David

Hi David,
Pretty limitted to upload size, however I have put the pics on my Zenfolio site, which are much larger. The other pics of moths on my Zenfolio site are taken from a friends moth trap, on the Isles of Scilly, last week, which sparked my interest, hence the new moth trap...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back