• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd finch, Bangor Wales (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

I thought this was a Goldfinch when I took the pictures... but looking at them on my computer, it looks... odd. Aberrant Goldfinch, hybrid or something else?

Attachments

• finchcrop1.jpg
    finchcrop1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 99
  • finchcrop2.jpg
    finchcrop2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 100
  • finchcrop3.jpg
    finchcrop3.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 247
For what it's worth, my initial impression was "is that a Linnet? oh no, there's yellow in its wings, must be a Goldfinch... but I'll take a photo to be sure, in case it's something else that might be a year tick" (also perhaps considering Redpoll sp) - I didn't think Greenfinch (or get an impression of "green-ness") at all. Also its song made me think either Goldfinch or Linnet... not that I really know anything about songs, or have really noticed what a singing Greenfinch sounds like...

What do you think is the likelihood of it being a naturally occurring hybrid versus an escaped cage bird? I know breeding finch hybrids is a pastime in some areas of the country...

Look up geenfinch x goldfinch and all will be clear. Also take a look at the green just outside flanks. Linnet does not show this. Grrenfinch x Golfinch without question. At the end of the day.. it's mank

Last edited:
Look up geenfinch x goldfinch and all will be clear. [...]
I did follow your recommendation and compared your suggestion " Greenfinch x Goldfinch without question" with the various photographs in the books "Gli Ibridi" and "Kruisingen kweken en tentoonstellen". Both books show this variant, even with mutants. No single specimen shows the flanks like the bird in question.

I´ve no doubt that the bird is a hybrid of an Goldfinch x Gloster Consort, hence the bully appearance.
At the end of the day.. it's mank
Could you explain this term, please?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back