• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oddie on 'Today with Des and Mel', January 19 2006 (1 Viewer)

he just makes them relazing instead of other wildlife presenters who just say "oh look at that that's amazig etc" Bill must get that alot but instead of saying it he says it in his head probably

One of the main factors of watching any of Bill Oddies progs has to be the photography and the scenery.Okay some of Bill's comments may seem to be patronising,but one has to admit,the photography is second to none,and he does get his message over re the birds and wildlife.So please dont " knock him" just enjoy the progs and be glad that someone is highlighting the wonderful wildlife in our country.I personally find some of his comments very amusing and very naive ,so easy to undertand.This makes his progs very enjoyable to watch.

Woodchatshrike said:
I don't think you can fault his contribution to conservation. His BBC TV programmes have been very well recieved over the past few years and he champions RSPB and WWT. He was like a dog with a bone over the whole shooting migrants in Cyprus. I'm not so sure about all his rants in Gripping Yarns stand up but I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Ben Nevis, wise up a bit. The message of conservation is hard enough but without characters like Bill we would have a much harder job.
You can't knock the Goodies for good old slapstick and the Funky Gibbon! The lyrics were so deep man.....

OK Woodchat,we shall agree to disagree.One last thing,why the Union flag from someone living in Fife.

Ben Nevis said:
OK Woodchat,we shall agree to disagree.One last thing,why the Union flag from someone living in Fife.
You have yet to explain: what is ""sad" about people holding an opinion different to yours?

pigsonthewing said:
You have yet to explain: what is ""sad" about people holding an opinion different to yours?

Fair point.I apologise to anyone offended by my "sad" quote.Had a bad day and should have put more thought into what I was saying,instead of diving in.I am big enough to admit the error I have made.Once again..sorry.

Woodchatshrike said:
I'm from the UK.

i think bill oddie is great,at least he has a passion for wildlife and makes sure people know it,the way that he puts things across is the reason why he appeals to people of all ages,i have friends with little interest in nature but they all watch his programmes.
kids love him,grannies love him(well mine did),he is a genuine bloke who simply loves his hobby.

robert burgess said:
just watched the programme and he is a top bloke,apparantly mel is a "twitcher"!!

Did Bill have to explain what a twitcher was? He says in 'Gripping Yarns' that he used to spend half his time explaining in interviews the differance between a twitcher and a birdwatcher.

Woodchatshrike said:
Did Bill have to explain what a twitcher was? He says in 'Gripping Yarns' that he used to spend half his time explaining in interviews the differance between a twitcher and a birdwatcher.

no,although i was expecting him to,it was about the last thing she said before the interview finished!

Ben Nevis said:
By the way "The Goodies" was crap as well.Anyone agree ? Or are you scared to admit it..!

I used to enjoy watching the Goodies as a child (especially the giant kitten), but I suspect that if I saw it again now it wouldn't be very good. It was probably of its time.

I can see both sides of this debate. Bill Oddie has probably done a lot to get many members of the general public interested in birds and wildlife and his programmes often contain fantastic footage, and many people like him. But frankly I find his commentary somewhat irritating at the best of times. During some of last year's live springwatch programmes he semed to be suffering from verbal diarrhoea and talking gibberish over the top of his co-presenter. My wife refuses to watch anything with him on and I end up having to watch his programmes upstairs if at all.

Still, we are all entitled to our personal views.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back