• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (8 Viewers)

OK forget the Lapwing! Might as well bung one in from last year - this was a landscape that i was reasonably pleased with (posted before but got deleted). Not everyone's cuppa but was trying to convey the weather on Islay

Attachments

• islay.JPG
    islay.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 65
You've got the attitude of the lapwing spot on, and the colours are great. I'm very impressed with the landscape, such daring colours yet totally convincing.

very nice lapwing!

have you tried a mule/scopac for carrying a tripod?

A decent pair of binos is first on the list! Then a camera. Then a decent scope. LOL - seriously, it wouldn't be suitable as I have to carry loads of other stuff around too in a rucksack. Course the easiest thing would be to get a car and sling it all in the back seat. ;)

cheers Nick - (sorry but the lapwing sketch was pretty awful, colours on lapwing and posture almost there but cr*ppy water colour overall - oh dear, practice practice practice practice .... :smoke: )

Great dramatic landscape, really like. I'm sure there was a lapwing on here in the early hours different from that above, you been deleting again? I was rather tired tho so maybe hallucinating.

Your not Alan. There was a single one there that I really liked a lot. Leave them there Deborah we like to see them all. You are not going to run out of space. I love the colours and atmosphere you created in the landscape.

Felt a bit embarrassed, it looked awful in the morning (I didn't think anyone would notice) Sorry guys - Now doubly embarrased! Oh why did I start this thread? MAAAAAATT........!!!!!!

|:$| |:$|

(popping into the Studio next door for a double Islay on the rocks )

Attachments

• LAPWINGWColour.JPG
    LAPWINGWColour.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Felt a bit embarrassed, it looked awful in the morning (I didn't think anyone would notice) Sorry guys - Now doubly embarrased! Oh why did I start this thread? MAAAAAATT........!!!!!!

LOL ...Deb

I have to confess I prefer this one, but thats not to say you're allowed to delete the other two ..ya hear!

With a few well judged 'slaps' of the brush (non-artists expression that!) you've captured the colours on the Lapwings back perfectly:t:

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Deborah - these insecurities are par for the course! I, for one, think your work is developing in a very positive direction (just check back on the comments - I'm not alone thinking this) and I enjoy watching all the artists (you included) struggling, sweating, hating and berating, but ultimately creating . . . wonderful images of nature. Just gotta keep doing it, and doing it . . .
For what it's worth - the first lappy is much more successful in my op. Really beautiful little study.
So stop deleting and continue the journey . . .

Now if someone could design me a pair of Bino Goggles that I could wear which would auto focus from pad to bird .....:-O

How many times have I wished for something like that! Might get a few odd looks, though...

I usually photograph paintings using only the light from a window (indirect sunlight, of course, and no flash). This seems to keep the colours pretty true.

I won't admonish you for wanting to take your stuff down (I think you've been chided enough |:d|), but do keep posting -- your stuff is, really, loads better than you think it is! My parents have all of these god awful acrylics from when I was a teenager hanging up all over and I ABHOR them (my dad keeps this atrocity of a wolf painting up in his office that I did when I was 15, all of his employees see it, and all of his clients ... CRINGE!). Really wouldn't shed a tear if something should happen to them. ;)

My parents have all of these god awful acrylics from when I was a teenager hanging up all over and I ABHOR them (my dad keeps this atrocity of a wolf painting up in his office that I did when I was 15, all of his employees see it, and all of his clients ... CRINGE!). Really wouldn't shed a tear if something should happen to them. ;)

Lol: Reminds me of my first holiday in Paris as a Teenager - Gaudy acrylic tigers on black velvet at Montmartre! Fortunately the OH's mother is an international French Lebanese artist living at the Bateau-Lavoir (sp), the new art studio/ apartments built on the site of the old studios that Picasso and Modigliani et al worked at - so put everything into perspective!

Have always taken fieldnotes as a rule and thought it would be interesting to rescue a few of my old scribbles as a blast from the past (don't worry, I can't read them now either!:-O ) and one of the Hawfinches done with a little more care later at home.

Perhaps i'd better list them!
Barn Owl, Cetti's, PF, a dommy/hybrid thing, Hawfinch, Marsh, Purple Sand, WTE

Attachments

• FIELDNOTES05.JPG
    FIELDNOTES05.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 60
  • HAWFINCH1.JPG
    HAWFINCH1.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 57
and woweee! Look at this! Just been rummaging through my old 'attic box' looking for some unused pads and found a weeny A6 sketch pad from over 30 years ago!!!!

My first ever ''fieldnote'' in there too, lol - forgot all about it and never did go back to try and ID it but of course today looking at it, it's obvious:-O

Attachments

• A61.JPG
    A61.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 46
  • A62.JPG
    A62.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 37
  • A63.JPG
    A63.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 42
  • A64.jpg
    A64.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37
  • A65.JPG
    A65.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 64
Hi Deb I am really enjoying your thread. Can't keep up with you to comment on all your work ! I love your approach and especially liked the lapwing studies.

For colour and composition that Hawfinch is superb, there's a wonderful lightnss of touch. I especially like your cat studies, very expressive strong lines.

Hey Deborah, more lovely stuff added here while I've been away. The first lapwing is a corker and I love the cat sketches too.

Woody

Thanks Wendy - Know what you mean about keeping up - the Art Forum must be one of the busiest on BF both in output and input - and we can't manage without both - I'm sure it's not just a mutual admiration society but also a mutual inspiration society!

Nice to see you back Woody, looking forward to some sketches of all those soaking wet rarities you found in Norks ;)

Thanks Wendy - Know what you mean about keeping up - the Art Forum must be one of the busiest on BF both in output and input - and we can't manage without both - I'm sure it's not just a mutual admiration society but also a mutual inspiration society!

Nice to see you back Woody, looking forward to some sketches of all those soaking wet rarities you found in Norks ;)

I definately see it as a mutual inspiration society- I see all this great work and want to paint or draw all the time. Unfortunately the day job gets in the way quite alot of the time but being part of this forum is really pushing and encouraging me to try harder with my bird work and I am feeling much more confident about putting birds into my paintings now.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back