• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Older alpha vs newer mid-range scopes (1 Viewer)

Greetings all. I've read little tidbits form other posts regarding this question but nothing that really answers it. How do older (say 20 years old) alpha spotting scopes compare to modern mid-range scopes? For example, you can find a 2000s Leica Televid-APO for around $1000. I remember coveting one of these when they were new and were among the best there was. I'm looking at new scopes now and while alpha scopes are in a much higher price range now, there are pretty good models in the $1000-$1500 range. What are people's thoughts on this comparison? Thanks!
IMHO some older alpha scopes especially if they can be used with modern eyepieces would be comparable to new alpha scopes if you take into account things such as fluorite glass as opposed to ordainary glass with average coatings this however only shows in poor conditions ie when the light is fading I would urge anyone when making comparisions with bins or scopes to avoid sunny days when making a purchase.
As if to proove a point a local place did not like it one bit when I pointed out to a customer they were trying to blag that she would gain insight into the difference between alpha and cheaper bins if she delayed her purchase until a day when the conditions did NOT have such good light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back