• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

older tripod worth a try? (1 Viewer)

Aotus

United States
I just ordered my first scope, super excited. It's a Nikon Monarch 60ED(a?). I ordered a sirui va-5 head, but for the tripod i quickly became overwhelmed with the options and stalled. My dad was a photographer in the 70s-90s, and I told him about my plight. He offered to send me a tripod that he thinks was very good back in the day. I wonder if you all can comment on whether it would be worth a try or wave it off and go for a new (used) something for ~$200usd.

These are images he sent of what he could send me... worth a try? or waste of money to ship it?

Attachments

• tempImageFMS5fY.png
    tempImageFMS5fY.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 40
  • tempImageCLUQmc.png
    tempImageCLUQmc.png
    14.6 MB · Views: 41
Two questions pop in to my head.
1 How heavy is it? If you are carrying it around for long or far, that is important.
2 How much is shipping going to cost? If not much, then take a chance on it.

I bought a used tripod without having seen it in the flesh on fleabay a few years ago and haven't regretted it yet, so this may work out for you just as well.

i am guessing it's not light, but that concerns me more about the cost of shipping than my effort lugging it around. at this time, i'm more interested in taking it to my nearby park and the lakeshore where i can park close by. i'm not quite to the point yet where i'll be trekking. but, i don't want him (or me!) to pay a ton in shipping only for it to be unpleasant to use with a scope, then i'm out $50 and don't enjoy using my scope when i get it... on the other hand, if i can pay $50 and have something that will work for a while (allowing my credit card to heal) and upgrade later on, then, great!

Why not? If you're dissatisfied after a few months, you will at least have a better idea of what would best fill your needs.
My first scope was used for a while on a massive old Gitzo Studex I bought for use with a view camera back in the 1980s.
The Studex goes with me on trips to the coast, where it's less vibration-prone than my lighter tripods.

John

The Bogen 3021 pictured is the forefather of the current Manfrotto MT055XPRO3. Back in the days the Italian-made Bogen 3021 (U.S. designation; Manfrotto 055 Triminor in the rest of the world) enjoyed a good reputation as the cheapest serious tripod for demanding users. In the 1990s, Zeiss and Swarovski sold re-labeled versions of the 055 as their "scope tripods" (with a massive mark-up compared to the Bogen/Manfrotto street prices). BTW, before the carbon revolution this model had been the favourite tripod of the then-famous German nature photographer Fritz Poelking. Hence, not bad at all.

20 years ago I owned the black layout of this model. It is very sturdy and dependable though on the weighty side. Compared to modern carbon fibre tripods of similar size (28mm leg diameter) the 3021 is twice as heavy and nonwithstanding slightly more prone to vibrations. But hey, for 50 bucks including the head it's still at least a decent value IMHO.

Last edited:
Hi,

in your case I would most certainly try the Bogen legs. They were rated for 6kg max weight back then and that is well above the usual fudge factor of double the weight of your head, scope, eyepiece and maybe camera...
I'm quite sure they will easily carry your load.

If you later feel that you want to lighten your pack, you can look for a used set of carbon fiber legs without being in a hurry...

PS: getting a scopac or mulepack is warmly recommended for carrying your scope setup...

Joachim

I had that model in black back in the day. Actually, I still have it but never use it unless doing an event where I need a bunch of tripods. It is very capable and plenty tall, but, as others have commented, is heavier and yet not as good at damping vibrations as would be a modern more expensive alloy or carbon model. You will probably want to get a different head for scoping.

--AP

I had that model in black back in the day. Actually, I still have it but never use it unless doing an event where I need a bunch of tripods. It is very capable and plenty tall, but, as others have commented, is heavier and yet not as good at damping vibrations as would be a modern more expensive alloy or carbon model. You will probably want to get a different head for scoping.

--AP
A different head than the sirui va-5?

Update: I have the tripod, and the new head, but apparently these old tripods are notorious for being extremely resistant to decapitation. I think I’ll have to give it a try with the old head first, and, assuming it’s not great, look at some used options for better legs.

Attachments

• 39A906B7-6436-4557-A6A0-A28A31806D96.jpeg
    39A906B7-6436-4557-A6A0-A28A31806D96.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Please take no offense, but did you loosen or remove the three set/grub screws on the underside of the head platform?

--AP

I did, just about all the way out, then twisted with a lot of force. I found several websites where people described the process. I think I need a vice to do it.

Soak in some WD40 between the two parts (use the grub screw holes) for a few hours or overnight.
This maybe all it takes to soften the oxidation and corrosion between the aluminum parts and between the bolt and the head.
And make sure you twist is in the correct direction........

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back