• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sirui Vh-10x plate issue (1 Viewer)

O.Riley

Canada
Hi!

I have been running around trying to equip myself with an appropriate tripod and head for my Scope. With the current worldwide circumstances, supply has been affected and I have had my work cut out for me. I managed to get a hold of a Manfrotto 055 Aluminum Tripod, that came with a xpro ball head (MK055P3BH2 ) - the kit that included the MVH500AH was out of stock everywhere in my area. I really wanted the 500AH, easier access of plates and easier warranty, so I tried one that was sold seperately, but for some reason, I could not get it to work with the tripod. Even the vendor tried it only to fail. There just seemed to be something missing in between the head and the tripod. The horizontal panning just wouldn't work left to right - only in one direction, otherwise it would unlock the head.

So I purchased a Sirui Vh-10x head. That worked. I really liked the overall feel and how it was not a struggle to pan the scope. The counterbalance was on point, the fluidity excellent, a 3/8 screw goes right into my scope and the best part: no creeping. The scope holds firmly in place unlike my trials on the 128, the vortex pro gt and some vanguard kit. I even tested the whole thing outside in 50km winds on unstable ground: it was secure and stable for the conditions.

The only thing I could not get/find were spare plates. I can't find the bp-90 plates anywhere. The sirui website says I can order from them (if they are even in stock?!), but I am in Canada, and it will end up costing me a fortune to have a small piece of metal shipped. I found something on ebay too, but no way am I spending 40$ on shipping from a store I have no idea is legit or not. I tried to find information throughout the forum on compatible plates, as well as online, but I can't seem to find a concrete answer.

I am wondering if there are different brand plates, or some method of removing the top clamp and replacing it with something that would allow me to have multiple plates. I want to be able to switch from my scope, to my camera, in seconds if need be. I really cannot be carrying around two tripods or two heads. The sirui head has been around for quite some time now and I am hoping someone has tested plate alternatives. I looked into RRS and kirks, but I am not sure I understand how it works nor how to find the appropriate product for my Sirui vh-10x.

Thanks for you help!
O'Riley

Hi!

I have been running around trying to equip myself with an appropriate tripod and head for my Scope. With the current worldwide circumstances, supply has been affected and I have had my work cut out for me. I managed to get a hold of a Manfrotto 055 Aluminum Tripod, that came with a xpro ball head (MK055P3BH2 ) - the kit that included the MVH500AH was out of stock everywhere in my area. I really wanted the 500AH, easier access of plates and easier warranty, so I tried one that was sold seperately, but for some reason, I could not get it to work with the tripod. Even the vendor tried it only to fail. There just seemed to be something missing in between the head and the tripod. The horizontal panning just wouldn't work left to right - only in one direction, otherwise it would unlock the head.

So I purchased a Sirui Vh-10x head. That worked. I really liked the overall feel and how it was not a struggle to pan the scope. The counterbalance was on point, the fluidity excellent, a 3/8 screw goes right into my scope and the best part: no creeping. The scope holds firmly in place unlike my trials on the 128, the vortex pro gt and some vanguard kit. I even tested the whole thing outside in 50km winds on unstable ground: it was secure and stable for the conditions.

The only thing I could not get/find were spare plates. I can't find the bp-90 plates anywhere. The sirui website says I can order from them (if they are even in stock?!), but I am in Canada, and it will end up costing me a fortune to have a small piece of metal shipped. I found something on ebay too, but no way am I spending 40$ on shipping from a store I have no idea is legit or not. I tried to find information throughout the forum on compatible plates, as well as online, but I can't seem to find a concrete answer.

I am wondering if there are different brand plates, or some method of removing the top clamp and replacing it with something that would allow me to have multiple plates. I want to be able to switch from my scope, to my camera, in seconds if need be. I really cannot be carrying around two tripods or two heads. The sirui head has been around for quite some time now and I am hoping someone has tested plate alternatives. I looked into RRS and kirks, but I am not sure I understand how it works nor how to find the appropriate product for my Sirui vh-10x.

Thanks for you help!
O'Riley
I use Sirui BP-90, Sirui VP-90, Sirui VP-125, Sirui VP-125X and an unknown Manfrotto plate (the one that comes with Manfrotto's BeFree Video-head but there is no number on it) on the Sirui VH-10X head. All these plates have the same width. I wouldn't remove the top clamp if I were you, it is something you might regret. It took me nearly 40 years to find a tripod head I was happy with, and then I found the VH-10X, and ended up buying two. Hope you might be able to find one of these alternatives if you can't find any BP-90.

I use Sirui BP-90, Sirui VP-90, Sirui VP-125, Sirui VP-125X and an unknown Manfrotto plate (the one that comes with Manfrotto's BeFree Video-head but there is no number on it) on the Sirui VH-10X head. All these plates have the same width. I wouldn't remove the top clamp if I were you, it is something you might regret. It took me nearly 40 years to find a tripod head I was happy with, and then I found the VH-10X, and ended up buying two. Hope you might be able to find one of these alternatives if you can't find any BP-90.
Thanks!

I definitely have been looking for those other plates. I might have found a place, but I need to get in contact with them first to see if they have it in stock. I will try to have a look at that BeFree video head plate as well. I might end up just shelling out 80$ to get the bp-90 plate if it ends up being my only option.

The Vh-10x is a wonderful tripod head. If I ever upgrade to a larger scope or camera, I know I wont have any issues. I just wish there were better access to plates. It makes no sense to me that a store would sell a head, and yet, not offer the plates - most people need more then one plate.

Perhaps it is just a local thing and people have had more success elsewhere.

**I looked up the manfrotto plate and it seems to be called the Manfrotto 501PL. They have it in stock at the store where I purchased the head. I will bring it and test it.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks for you help!
O'Riley
Hello
I have the fine VP 10x since Soptember 2020 and use it to support my big (4,5 kgs) astro 45° binoculars.
The correct series of the Sirui plate for this head is the VP-VH.
I only had to replace the standard VP-VH10 plate with a longer VH-125 as an extra accessory to better balance the heavy load.
I suggest you to look again for a genuine Sirui plate suited to this head (not to the smaller VP-5) in the global market and hope you can still find it somewhere.
Best

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_220957_501.jpg
    IMG_20210320_220957_501.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks!

I definitely have been looking for those other plates. I might have found a place, but I need to get in contact with them first to see if they have it in stock. I will try to have a look at that BeFree video head plate as well. I might end up just shelling out 80$ to get the bp-90 plate if it ends up being my only option.

The Vh-10x is a wonderful tripod head. If I ever upgrade to a larger scope or camera, I know I wont have any issues. I just wish there were better access to plates. It makes no sense to me that a store would sell a head, and yet, not offer the plates - most people need more then one plate.

Perhaps it is just a local thing and people have had more success elsewhere.

**I looked up the manfrotto plate and it seems to be called the Manfrotto 501PL. They have it in stock at the store where I purchased the head. I will bring it and test it.
Yes, i just checked and the Manfrotto plate that fits is the 501PL. Another Sirui one that fits is the VP-90.
And I agree that most people need more than one plate. I sometimes see people in the field loosening the screw with an Allen key because they need to swap the plate from a camera to a telescope, whereas all my objectives, telescopes, binocular tripod mounts +++ have plates that I hav purchased separately ready mounted. Hope you fing some plates for your VH-10X

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back