• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D EM-1 (9 Viewers)

Blackout in VF

Got a blackout in the VF when switched on the camera today.
Camera in MF, doesn't respond to changes in MF/AF.

Switched camera off and on a couple of times, still black VF.
Switched camera off, pulled the switch on the lens to MF.
Switched on the camera, VF worked again, pulled the lensswitch to AF,
VF still worked ok, and AF works.

E-M1 with MB, canon 400 usm, 2x extender.

Hi Binoseeker

I am not sure I follow what you want to raise.

So far I have not got any black VF, after 7-8 months use.

What I know on the other hand is that sometimes I get focus refusal which is manifested by the AF not engaging at all. It happens when having left the camera on standby (timeout for power save is 1 min) and picking it up to grab next opportunity. Maybe 1 time out of 25 on average? It's stochastic, though, some days it does not happen at all and once it happened twice in a row.

I have experienced this issue even when using other EM1 bodies so it is not my copy of the camera. It has been there on all versions of the FW, starting with 1.82, and up until the latest 2.4.

Gently twisting the setup (there is a fair amount of play) sometimes gets the AF back to operating mode, so it may be a contact glitch causing the MB to enter a locked state somehow. Power off/on is the definite way to remedy the issue but losing a few precious seconds...

Hello Tord,

I am just sharing my experiences.....maybe someone can use the info while encountering the same problem, like you sharing your experiences with the AF, thanks for that. I will have your info in mind when problems occur.

It seems we are getting different problems with the same hardware. Maybe we are having different menu settings?

I am back to MB fw version 2.1.

Anders

New MB version 2.5 out

There is a new MB version out for the bold to try:)

Name: Firmware update V2.5 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 4 Nov 2016
Benefits and improvements:
Fixed IBIS support with Sigma 50-100/1.8 DC HSM Art 016 lens on Panasonic GX7, GX8 and GX80/85.
Olympus OM-D E-M1 PDAF improvements.
Option to park focus to infinity upon shutdown to shorten its length for storage. Some lenses may disregard this setting but never park focus, and most of these are internal focus lenses which do not require parking. STM lenses always observe the option setting.
Changing iris on Panasonic using the adapter's jog lever requires first pushing the jog lever inward to activate. There is a customizable option in Metabones App to get back the previous behaviour of activating jog lever iris control whenever the jog lever is pushed in, up, or down. In both case jog lever iris control terminates with the control relinquished to the camera body by pushing the lever inward.
Fixed an issue with some telephoto zoom lenses not being able to start up at maximum zoom position with EF Extender attached on Olympus cameras.
Fixed an AF inaccuracy problem on Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 with EF135/2L USM.
Fixed issue with Tamron VC USD where autofocus may occasionally become inoperative.

I installed the v2.5 firmware in the MB this evening and took some photos indoors and it seems to work ok.
It doesn´t seem to have the runaway focusing I experienced with the v2.4 fw, after releasing the half way down pressed button....so maybe this fw is a keeper, will see after some outdoor testing.

I also have loaded v2.5 over v2.1. 2.3 and 2.4 were not good with the Canon 400/5.6, but 2.5 seems OK. I notice none of the focus refusals I experienced with 2.4.

E-M1 autofocus speed

Some text from : https://photographylife.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-em1/2

The E-M1’s EVF has a fast refresh rate of 60 fps (normal) and it can be set to 120 fps (fast) to make the EVF really smooth. Now here is where I found a nice surprise while playing with switching between different refresh rates. When shooting in low light conditions, autofocus performance obviously goes down, causing the camera to occasionally “hunt” for focus. However, if you change the EVF refresh rate to 120 fps via Menu->Custom Menu->Disp->Frame Rate->High, the camera will autofocus much faster and hunt less. I tried this with the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 lens and the difference in AF speed was very noticeable – I would say between 2-3 times faster! This was especially noticeable in dimly lit environments. So if you struggle with AF speed in low light, try changing the refresh rate and see if it helps.

To explore the AF-improvement I tried to change the settings in my camera menu but it seems not possible to do anymore.

Anyone tried this?

I notice no difference at all in focus speed between normal and high. The image in the EVF is not as good on high.
You can't change the settings (greyed out) if focus peaking is on or even assigned to a button.

Ok, so that is why the text was greyed out :)

Did you try in low light conditions?

What lenses did you use?

Thanks,

Anders

Hi Anders,
I tried it with the Sigma 150-600S, and yes, low light. I remember trying it before and also reading something about it supposedly focusing faster, but there again, only in low light where the sensor is not getting enough. By upping the gain it works better, but is much noisier, at least in the EVF. I will play with it a bit more just out of curiosity.

Daniel,

I tried it indoors this evening with my canon 400mm+ Ext 2, but couldn´t say if it was an improvement or not....not ideal testing conditions nor systematic approach :)

You really need good light for the 400 + 2x extender to work. I very seldom use it, but it can deliver. Here with the 400:
P1211054-61 2x RS1a c1.jpg

New MB version 2.6 out

Name: Firmware update V2.6 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 16 Dec 2016
Benefits and improvements:
Fixed issue with optical image stabilization of the lens turning off if the camera's Pinpoint AF Display menu option is set to PIP and Pinpoint AF is chosen.
OIS/IBIS interaction on GX7/GX8/GX80/GX85 is restructured and the "IBIS only" option is removed. Please read http://www.metabones.com/article/of/mft-manual-image-stabilization
Fixed compatibility issue with Tamron 150-600/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011.
EXIF for unrecognized lenses no longer says 'Metabones', but instead states the lens ID number.
For diagnostic purpose Metabones App displays the name of the lens attached to the Speed Booster or Smart Adapter. This works only if the lens is attached before connecting USB and the adapter's jog lever is not pushed inward while USB is connected.

Well, after over 10 years of Olympus firmware upgrades on many different bodies and lenses I have been lucky in not having a problem yet (might happen tomorrow?). However cameras are computers and it may not be the firmware itself that is the problem (though judging from some smart phone upgrades it is always a possibility), any glitch due to slightly low battery, dirty contacts, out of spec components etc., could trigger a catastrophic problem. Fortunately my experience of firmware updates across several camera manufacturers has always been less traumatic than my Windows 10 update experience....(not for this thread). I usually leave a week or two before applying any firmware upgrade on anything from any manufacturer like most of us I suspect.

Last edited:
When looking at the thread at Dpreview again, more users have installed the new firmware without problem, but I will wait a bit longer before installing, just in case....

I think there is no rush if you do not need any of the features enclosed. I am staying put. If it ain't bust, don't fix it!
:smoke:

I updated my camera firmware to v 4.3 yesterday, after holding off for several days. The update went as normal without any problems and everything seems to be working as it should. However, I haven't had a chance to use it in the field yet.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back