• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Open Nesting Boxes (4 Viewers)

PaulHH

United Kingdom
Hi, I've got about seven open boxes to attract robins and the like, on a nature trail. However, a few of them are just stuck on the side of trees and not hidden in ivy. Is it too late to move the boxes this year? Most have been up for a year or two and as far as I know have never been used. Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to you :)

I think now would be a good time and not much later as I read a post yesterday that stated that a bird had started nest building in one of his boxes. Good luck guy :)

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

If there are no birds using them for overnight roosting, then it should be okay to move them, but do it sooner rather than late.

I’m not sure if the boxes need to be hidden.

Hi, I have a bird box with camera and I was getting a lot of visits by blue tits. Hoping a. Pair would start building a nest. Now there has been no activity for a few days. Why have they gone and abandoned my box? I did see a magpie in the garden.

Hi, I have a bird box with camera and I was getting a lot of visits by blue tits. Hoping a. Pair would start building a nest. Now there has been no activity for a few days. Why have they gone and abandoned my box? I did see a magpie in the garden.
They were just prospecting and most likely have found something more to their liking.....just like humans in many ways. A Magpie is only a real threat to hole nesting species when the young fledge and thus vulnerable for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back