• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orlando, FL Female Brown-headed Cowbird? (2 Viewers)

WESO

United States
Hello! This question is for a bird the arrived yesterday in Orlando, FL. I was hoping that a female Indigo Bunting arrived at my millet feeder, but now think that it could be a female Brown-headed Cowbird. I'm trying to put an accurate listing down for eBird, but small female birds can be a hard ID for me. The bill size and throat patch seems to lean towards cowbird. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• INBU 1 (1).jpg
    INBU 1 (1).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 19
  • INBU 2 (1).jpg
    INBU 2 (1).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19
Blue grosbeak or indigo bunting. Brown-headed cowbird doesn't show warm tips to greater and median coverts, general gingery colour, smudgy underparts. Might help further if you have photos with head in profile and bill closed.

Butty, thanks. I do have a couple more photos. I'll say that it is roughly the same size as the painted buntings that use the same feeder. It is just as shy as those birds as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420-160238.png
    Screenshot_20230420-160238.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 8
  • UNK1 (2).jpg
    UNK1 (2).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank you all! I'm more comfortable saying Indigo Bunting for eBird. I'm happy for it not to be a cowbird, if only for my bird seed budget. I also ran Merlin audio for the afternoon and Indigo Bunting showed up, but Cowbird did not.

Brown-headed cowbird also shows a pale throat-patch, and typically also short dark malar-type markings somewhat resembling this bird's - so that's not a very useful feature in this particular case.
Pale rather the whitish throat we see here in my experience. Anyways the distinction is indigo bunting vs blue grosbeak not the cowbird (since it's clear it's not the latter)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back