• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys...Dumfries and Galloway. (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
I'm visiting Dumfries and Galloway for a week as from 23rd May. I've most of the better known areas and reserves pencilled in already. I did note from an RSPB request for support , that Osprey is said to be a frequent visitor Baldoon Sands. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me if there is a particular area that I should be looking at.

Other places I have down to visit are Mull of Galloway, Ailsa Craig, Wood of Cree, Cairnsmore of Fleet, Laurieston and Mereshead, the latter because I have never been there in spring /summer. If I'm missing anywhere of importance I'd again be grateful of any suggestions. I'm wondering about areas for Nightjar. I'll be staying in Newton Stewart

Cheers

I'm visiting Dumfries and Galloway for a week as from 23rd May. I've most of the better known areas and reserves pencilled in already. I did note from an RSPB request for support , that Osprey is said to be a frequent visitor Baldoon Sands. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me if there is a particular area that I should be looking at.

Other places I have down to visit are Mull of Galloway, Ailsa Craig, Wood of Cree, Cairnsmore of Fleet, Laurieston and Mereshead, the latter because I have never been there in spring /summer. If I'm missing anywhere of importance I'd again be grateful of any suggestions. I'm wondering about areas for Nightjar. I'll be staying in Newton Stewart

Cheers

There's now a viewing platform at Threave Castle for an osprey nest across the river. The nest site is now in the public domain

They are doing a Nightjar Night on the 22nd June at Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre, I know this is too late for you but if they are doing walks near here then maybe you might get lucky in this area. This is my favourite part of the country and a real hidden gem filled to the brim with wildlife. Hope you have a nice trip |=)|

Have you got Ken dee on your list we have always got a good selection of Birds and even Red Squirrel [outside the hide]. At the seats which are about two thirds of the way to the hide have a sit there for a few minutes we saw Flycatchers here.

We normally stay very close to Threave Castle [almost over the road from the grounds] and have always had a good walk around, but dont forget to check out the wood to the right hand side after you pass the main fields [there is a hide there] and there is also one on the final part where you are on the final walk to the Castle, turn left instead and it gets you to a hide with views across the lake. ...forgot to mention the car park here is great for Swallow.

If you go to Loch Ryan/Stranraer and if you want liquid refreshments/meal travel a couple of miles further on to Kirkcolm and go to the Blue Peter, we came across the owners last year when we were in Wigtown and they are very keen birders [shame it was our last day so we didnt get chance to check the pub out]...we got a few good up to date sightings and locations off them.
http://www.thebluepeterhotel.co.uk/index.htm

Last edited:
A friend has just been to Threave Castle and had some great views of the Ospreys there.

We usually call in at Wigtown when we're over that way. It's usually April-May we go as well. There's another nesting pair there which are well advertised. There's a webcam link on the top floor of the town hall. They can be viewed fishing over Wigtown Bay which I dare say is the Baldoon Sands birds. There's a nature reserve with hide and marshland in the bay just below the town which can be pretty good. Views of the Ospreys are usually pretty distant. In fact the closest I've seen them in the bay is from main road on the east shore near Creetown. We've had Barn Owl in the same area a couple of times.

I'd also consider Loch Ryan and Stranraer, a bit further to travel but we usually go for the Black Guillemots in the harbour around the ferry terminal and a ride north along the east shore to the Wig - for waders, Gannets, Twite and sometimes divers. We've seen 4-5 Ospreys there as well.

Here's a trip report from 2008 - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=113098 - which may give a few ideas as to what's around the places we visit.

Galloway Forest by the Wild Goat Range and deer park are well worth checking for the Raven, Peregrines and several visits we've picked up Golden Eagle as well.

Also Wood of Cree and Ken Dee marshes are always 'must do' for us if the weather is decent.

I returned from a week in Dumfries and Galloway last weekend, my first visit to Scotland and certainly not the last. If you are going to Mull of Galloway I suggest that if possible you visit Portpatrick on the way. 6 prs of Black Guillemots in the harbour, I also spotted a pair of Eider close to the shore. Also New England Bay (also on the way to Mull of Galloway) is worth a quick visit, Goldfinch, Hirundines, Stonechat and Gannets, easily spotted from the carpark. Wood of Cree is a must, Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler, Redstart. A stunning area!

Thanks Nicola, Marmot, Ian and Pam.

All very useful information, and I shall be checking out your report Ian.

We intend to visit Ken Dee marshes on the day we travel up. I've been there in winter for the White Fronted Geese, but never summer. I also like the sound of Threave Castle. With the plans I had and the added information that you have all supplied, I'm beginning to feel it a pity I'm only going for a week!;)

Cheers

I assume no body recommends WWT Caerlaverock in the Spring or Summer then.
It is a shame as there are lots of things to be seen in the reserve. The end of may to June is often a time a bird pops up. I think over the last few years, Crane, White Tailed Plover, Stork, Pec Sand, Buff Sand, Skua's etc.

Also not just birds on offer but butterflies and plants around the summer walkways.

I assume no body recommends WWT Caerlaverock in the Spring or Summer then.
It is a shame as there are lots of things to be seen in the reserve. The end of may to June is often a time a bird pops up. I think over the last few years, Crane, White Tailed Plover, Stork, Pec Sand, Buff Sand, Skua's etc.

Also not just birds on offer but butterflies and plants around the summer walkways.

Thanks myoudale
We were up there in Feb and it is quite a regular trip for us (always in winter I must admit), and that is why I hadn't included the WWT in my initial plan. If I hear of any one of the birds on your list appearing again we may have a re-think. :)

Cheers

I came back yesterday after a week in the sun. My one and only Osprey was seen at Ken Dee Marshes on our outward journey. I'll get a report up of what proved to be a fantastic trip, at some point. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back