• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other bird?- using hummingbird feeder (1 Viewer)

easytim

This bird has been drinking at the hummingbird feeder, we think it is a female Downing Woodpecker. Its sticking its long beak down into the hole to feed.

Pictures can be seen here ---- Woodpecker feeding at the hummingbird feeder

If it wasn't for that yellow plastic flower it couldn't hang on, I guess its a Downing Woodpecker. It sure wasn't afraid of me, I got 12 feet away from it to take these pictures, didn't seem bothered by me at all.

It does lood like a Downy (or Hairy) woodpecker. Like Mark said, it happens quite often. I have a woopecker that visits my sunflower seed feeder, but never the hummingbird feeder.
I see you are using commercial nectar mix, with red dye in it. Red dye isn't really needed for the hummingbird to find your feeder, and may even be harmful to the birds. If you mix up 1 part sugar to three or four parts water, it works just as well (sometimes even better) at attracting hummingbirds, and it's much cheaper than buying that red stuff at the store.

Tim,

What a very cool picture! I have never seen nor heard of this. We have downy woodpeckers and hummer feeders, but the hummer feeders are up against the house. Maybe that's why I have never seen it. We have special woodpecker bars, and the woodpeckers LOVE those! I've even seen the pileated on them.

Anyhow, way cool picture. I will have to show it to my husband.

Thanks for sharing it.

Lydia :girl:

If you could tell us the size of the feeder, it would be easier to tell if it's a hairy or downy. If the feeder is say, a foot long, then that would definitely be a hairy woodpecker.

I've had them hit hummer feeders before......................... hard!! A female hairy went after mine a few years ago and damaged one of the 'bee guards' at one feeder port. She banged away at it like it was a regular feeder! :)

If I'm seeing things correctly, there is barring on the undertail (in the second picture) which would make it a Downy for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back