• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl Help? McLellan Conservation Area - Spokane Co. WA, USA (1 Viewer)

mselle

United States
I captured the attached recording at McLellan Conservation Area in Spokane County, Washington right after sunset. I didn't recognize it in the field. With analysis apps I'm getting Spotted Owl, Barred Owl, and Flammulated Owl. Spotted seems impossible in this location. I'm not sure about it. Can anyone ID it from the recording? Thanks!

Attachments

• 2022-10-09 18_19.wav
    10.3 MB
That definitely has the tone of a Barred Owl but is not the right sequence. Possibly a young Barred Owl? Is there a way to show it on a spectrogram?

Hi! Thank you for your help. I have attached four spectrogram images. At the 5.2 second mark, is the main call that is repeated many times. There's a chatter type call at the 22.5 second mark and another different sequence at the 26.5 second mark. The one from 33 seconds on has another image of a call that looks more distant at the end indicating perhaps a second owl. Let me know what you think. Another reviewer elsewhere also thought there were two juveniles calling.

Attachments

• Owl Spectrogram 5.2 sec.PNG
    Owl Spectrogram 5.2 sec.PNG
    99.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Owl Spectrogram 22.5 sec.PNG
    Owl Spectrogram 22.5 sec.PNG
    122.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Owl Spectrogram 26.5 sec ff.PNG
    Owl Spectrogram 26.5 sec ff.PNG
    478.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Owl Spectrogram 33 sec.PNG
    Owl Spectrogram 33 sec.PNG
    391.1 KB · Views: 5
Although this would be extremely late for a Flammulated. They started their southward migration back in August. They also don't call very much during their migration and into early winter leading to very difficult studies of where they actually winter and migrate through annually.

I really am perplexed by this Identification. The owl is too high pitched in my opinion for a Flammulated Owl. It really to me seems like a Western Screech Owls tone but the pattern is different. I'm thinking it could be a young Barred Owl, but there is also a little bit of a tone difference there too. The "whoa" call is the one confusing me the most. It sounds like a mix of two Long-Eared Owl calls, however the habitat wouldn't match up. I really don't think I am able to personally pin this one down or feel confident in Flammulated Owl ID. Nice job getting a recording, I hope others of better expertise are able to help you ID it and explain why/how they did it.

See what you think of this cleaned up version (attached). Thank you!
I retract my initial comment, but have no other suggestions to offer unfortunately. I don’t study owls specifically but I do a lot of night hiking for wildlife, and I travel a lot, so I do hear a lot of them. This is not something I’ve heard before.

I really am perplexed by this Identification. The owl is too high pitched in my opinion for a Flammulated Owl. It really to me seems like a Western Screech Owls tone but the pattern is different. I'm thinking it could be a young Barred Owl, but there is also a little bit of a tone difference there too. The "whoa" call is the one confusing me the most. It sounds like a mix of two Long-Eared Owl calls, however the habitat wouldn't match up. I really don't think I am able to personally pin this one down or feel confident in Flammulated Owl ID. Nice job getting a recording, I hope others of better expertise are able to help you ID it and explain why/how they did it.
Since you last replied a local owl expert listened and has no doubt about the Flammulated Owl ID. I'll take a look at the spectrogram again considering the pitch issue. Thank you so much for your help with this one! I've been perplexed too. I have heard Flammulated Owls in May and June "singing" but have never before heard their calls, so I have not had a point of reference. The local expert commented that Flammulated Owls have been positively identified across the river (Lake Spokane - it's dammed) from this location.

I retract my initial comment, but have no other suggestions to offer unfortunately. I don’t study owls specifically but I do a lot of night hiking for wildlife, and I travel a lot, so I do hear a lot of them. This is not something I’ve heard before.
Thank you for listening and for your help. I obviously haven't heard something like this before either. If you're interested, take a look at my reply to Andr3w for a bit more. Take care.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back