• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl ID, UK (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
I know this is only a rear shot but can anyone make an ID is it little owl its been hanging round for days.

Attachments

• owl150608001.jpg
    owl150608001.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 615
If it's hanging round any chance of some more pics?

Don't know about anyone else but I see a stocky bird, slate grey back, rounded black-tipped wings, short square tail with black bars. So it looks more hawk like, Sparrowhawk? Stockiness could be accentuated by the angle.

Doesn't fit with any owl I can think of! Also puzzled by the yellow on the head.

Agree with Rob and Jim.
Sparrowhawk. The orangey yellow underside and 'face' would indicate its a male.

Its the yellow head and broad chest that puzzles me, It was to stocky for sparrow hawk it was about 8-10inches total length. It left the tree it was in and went into the field. I only have one other photo again its a rear shot.

Attachments

• owl150608000.jpg
    owl150608000.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 434
Agree that Sparrowhawk is most likely, but the tail is rather short and wide - possibly an result of camera angle - and there is clearly a big, fat, cream-coloured belly that no self-respecting Sprawk would be hauling around.

More to this than meets the eye, I reckon.....

looks like a perfect male sparrowhawk, remember that pictures in field guides are rarely what we see in the field.

Whatever it is I only get to see its rear end. I have been scanning the tree for days. It was on the tennis court this evening but the light was so low we could only see its shape through the bins. It was short and stocky with heavy legs it had a very cream colored chest.

Christine
What made you think it was a Little Owl - before you took the picture that is?

One clue is they are little - what I'm getting at (badly) is what size and other features did it have? Picture could be a lot of things alhough tail looks a little long for Little Owl.

I have to say that the breadth of both the tail and the head (particularly the neck), the wingshape and the bulk of the belly look far more like an owl than a Sparrowhawk! Gawd knows what the yellow on the head's about though.

I also would say it's a sparrowhawk, what else could it be, interesting though. Would be good if you could get some more shots Christine, hope so.

ROD.

I'm thinking with Richard Dawkins on this one. That patch of white and stocky build makes me think goshawk
edited due to senior moment :).

I'm relieved that no-one has suggested hawk owl, as has been said many times this is a sparrowhawk at an unexpected angle. Shape/build changes enormously with angle. Think of the difference in shape of an A4 piece of paper held flat in front of you, compared to when you hold it on its side when all you see is the edge.

Thanks everyone, I will keep trying to get a decent photo. Its still hanging round, I saw it fly across the field this morning going away again. The Jackdaws were dive bombing it, so I saw it sideways it was a lot smaller than the Jackdaws creamy chest and short tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back