• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl identification - Souther California (1 Viewer)

Hawkdl2

United States
Hi all. This owl has been visiting our property for the past several weeks and beginning around an hour after sunset travels between 4-6 spots in the neighborhood making a loud screeching sound at each spot for a few minutes before moving on to the next spot in rotation. I happen to be an avid photographer so I set up my camera and flash and got this image with a remote trigger. I cannot identify the owl. It's a fairly large bird with large talons and an impressive wing span I would guess at close to a meter (3 feet).

He seems too big to be Western Screech Owl (and with a very different sound than I can find online), does not look like a white faced barn owl, and too big for some of other owl species that have been suggested by friends. I don't see any "horns" so probably not a Great Horned Owl, so I'm lost as to what species he might be.

Larry_DSF2316.jpg

If I saw it in the Afrotropics I'd probably say it was spotted eagle owl. But given that it's in the Americas and I'm not looking at any books, I assume it's great horned owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back