• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oxfordshire birding (1 Viewer)

Cool, cheers Gareth. Had Gropper (lifer!) at Otmoor yesterday. We only saw the hobby for a minute or two before it moved away East, but haven't been since so don't know whether it's still about.

I visited Otmoor today - and there was a lovely male Hobby showing well - spent 20-25 mins in his tree - mainly balancing in the wind but every now and again catching an insect or two!

Cuckoos and Groppers about as well, and other birds.

Probable Black Tern(s), heard only unfortunately, over Oxford (st peters college) yesterday evening. Very interesting to see a report of spoonbill at port meadow on birdguides today... does anybody have any more info?

I was fantasising about both these species being on port meadow yesterday afternoon - maybe I should do so more often!

Spoonbill seen only briefly early morning. Seems there is a small passage of black terns going through at the moment and bucks has had some little terns. Farmoor has had a good passage of waders over the last few days too.

Need a patch highlight, it's getting a bit stale!

Gareth

All day yesturday I had been thinking about going to Otmoor today, just as I had talked myself out of the early start required a report of probable COLLARED PRATINCOLE came through!

Up and out to get to Otmoor for 05:15ish I saw many a bird but no Pratincole (nor did the other 7/8 people looking either!).
Highlights were female Marsh harrier, Whimbrel, Little Egret, displaying Snipe, Turtle Doves and Cuckoos. Was too early or cold for the Hobbies and i missed the Gargeney flying over the reedbed from the 2nd screen.

Not a bad morning all in all

Gareth

All day yesturday I had been thinking about going to Otmoor today, just as I had talked myself out of the early start required a report of probable COLLARED PRATINCOLE came through!

According to the 'review of the week' in the weekly email I recieve from Birdguides, the pratincole may well have been oriental!!!!!!!

Corn Buntings?

Not sure of its status in Oxfordshire, but I found at least one pair of Corn Buntings yesterday on my local patch (inc. Manor Farm). Here's a not-too-great pic.

Attachments

• CornBunting.jpg
    CornBunting.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 41
They're around, unfortunately in small numbers. I know of a few places around Banbury where I can normally pick them up, though one place I used to get them every year but not this year.

Gareth

My body didn't let me get up early enough this morning, so I only had about 5mins listening to the Marsh Warbler (and sadly not seeing it) before I had to go back, but I'll definitely be visiting Otmoor again! Other highlights included 2 painted ladies, an argent and sable (the first time I have seen this day-flying moth), beautiful demoiselle and brown hawker.

Actually having got back home and had a look through my books I think it was a Marbled White rather than argent and sable. Does that make more sense to people who go to Otmoor more often than me?

I went to Otmoor yesturday morning and although it was windy and the Marsh warbler only showed briefly a few times it was singing well. I heard it do a few commoner bird calls but people have reported it to imitate Bearded tit, Quail, Bee-eater and Collared Flycatcher of all things!

With regard to the Marbled white - I'm not sure as I don't go often enough but I would doubt they are there, I thought they were a species of chalk grassland(?) so probably not on Otmoor. Could be corrected though.

Cheers
Gareth

With regard to the Marbled white - I'm not sure as I don't go often enough but I would doubt they are there, I thought they were a species of chalk grassland(?) so probably not on Otmoor. Could be corrected though.

Cheers
Gareth

No, I went on Monday (and did get several views of the Marsh Warbler) and saw about a dozen Marbled White along with lots of Meadow Brown and Ringlet, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Painted lady, Large Skipper and 'Cabbage' Whites.

Marbled Whites don't mind what sort of grassland!

ATB

Robin

No, I went on Monday (and did get several views of the Marsh Warbler) and saw about a dozen Marbled White along with lots of Meadow Brown and Ringlet, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Painted lady, Large Skipper and 'Cabbage' Whites.

Marbled Whites don't mind what sort of grassland!

ATB

Robin

Thanks Robin, I thought it was too large to be Argent and Sable B :)

Hi all,
I too can vouch for Marbled Whites being at Otmoor as I've seen them there myself. For those interested in butterflies there are now some photos of Otmoor Silver Washed Fritillaries on the Otmoor Birding blog as well as yet more photos of the star warbler.

WRT the marsh warbler song, a fellow birder has noted that the mimicry is getting more mundane of late. I certainly heard the bearded tit as part of its repertoire at the beginning (I wouldn't know a collard fly call if I heard one so can't comment on that) but of late it's been doing more common stuff. Perhaps it adapts to what it hears around it. There was also an interesting comment on OxonBirds recently about when and where marsh warblers learn their songs.

Adam

Last edited:
Hi all,
I too can vouch for Marbled Whites being at Otmoor as I've seen them there myself. For those interested in butterflies there are now some photos of Otmoor Silver Washed Fritillaries on the Otmoor Birding blog as well as yet more photos of the star warbler.

WRT the marsh warbler song, a fellow birder has noted that the mimicry is getting more mundane of late. I certainly heard the bearded tit as part of its repertoire at the beginning (I wouldn't know a collard fly call if I heard one so can't comment on that) but of late it's been doing more common stuff. Perhaps it adapts to what it hears around it. There was also an interesting comment on OxonBirds recently about when and where marsh warblers learn their songs.

Adam

Bet it was nice to see the Otmoor blog plugged by Birdguides in their weekly email, with the Marsh Warbler as bird of the week :t:. I'm not a member of OxonBirds so haven't had a chance to read the post (how do you join?). I would have expected the Marsh Warbler to add to its repertoire rather than replacing the old immitations with new ones - I've heard tell of one bird which could immitate almost 200 species! Bird song is partially innate and partially learned (I think rhythm is innate, but tone learned, if I remember rightly) and obviously small passerines become fully capable within a year, but I suppose these don't really apply to Marsh Warbler.

It was interesting to read about Silver-washed Fritillaries and also Quail on Otmoor Birding - are they there every year, or is this 'classified' information?

Bet it was nice to see the Otmoor blog plugged by Birdguides in their weekly email, with the Marsh Warbler as bird of the week :t:. I'm not a member of OxonBirds so haven't had a chance to read the post (how do you join?). I would have expected the Marsh Warbler to add to its repertoire rather than replacing the old immitations with new ones - I've heard tell of one bird which could immitate almost 200 species! Bird song is partially innate and partially learned (I think rhythm is innate, but tone learned, if I remember rightly) and obviously small passerines become fully capable within a year, but I suppose these don't really apply to Marsh Warbler.

It was interesting to read about Silver-washed Fritillaries and also Quail on Otmoor Birding - are they there every year, or is this 'classified' information?

Yes it was nice to have the blog pugged!

Click on Oxonbirds: though you will need to join. Have a read of the posting on 1st July about the song.

The SW frits. are in Noke wood I believe though I've not seen them myself. The quail was heard calling along the main bridleway and they can also be heard calling in the Pill area. A calm, warm evening visit is probably best to hear them though you're unlikely to see them.

Banbury Crossbill Flock

My wife and I have just seen a flock of Crossbills passing through the pines in our local park (St Louis Meadow Park) in Banbury on our way to the supermarket. These were lifers for us both but sight, behaviour, and sound all confirmed. We're wondering whether last night's stormy weather had anything to do with this?
Cheers,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back