• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pacific Black Duck v hybrid with Mallard, New Zealand (1 Viewer)

timsg80

Gregor Tims
Happy New Year to everyone,

Having only recently moved to New Zealand, I am still getting used to the proliferation of Mallard-Pacific Black Duck hybrids here, indeed seeing a 'pure' PBD is incredibly rare in NZ nowadays, and indeed I personally feel that 'pure' Mallards aren't too common in Christchurch either.

I saw these individuals today. I would have immediately called the individual in the left of the top photo a PBD had I seen it in Queensland (where there aren't many Mallards, nor hybrids), but here I'm much more tentative as I've heard that pure PBDs survive only in wild areas. Can anyone help with the any features in these birds that suggest that they are hybrids? Or might they be pure PBDs? Thanks!
PBD.PNGPpbd2.PNG

Based on this:

http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/grey-duck

and examination of Macaulay images I'd suggest they're both hybrids. First duck has bright orange (=mallard) legs, and both have rather muted, murky facial patterns. There's probably some variation in the latter (again judging by photos and assuming these are correctly id'd), but I think the mutedness is a pointer here. Perhaps the roundness of the head: although it's been years since I saw one, I remember that black duck gives a long-profiled impression.

They are indeed both hybrids also in my opinion. Facial pattern has already mentioned as a bit too spotted in the light areas for 2nd photo. In the left bird apart from the leg color already mentioned , you see a blue speculum with a black and a similarly broad white line in front of the blue. also note the very white tail feathers in the right hand bird on the first photo, also indicating mallard parentage.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back