• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Bunting with dilute plumage? Key Largo, FL (1 Viewer)

Hello! I am curious about this bird I saw on my feeders this morning. It looks to be a Painted Bunting, which we do get them in the fall & winter, but it has very dilute plumage and slight color variation. I've searched for examples online but have not found any to come close to the bird I saw this morning. This is around the last couple weeks we should be seeing them this far south. I am basically looking for a confirmation, or if anyone knows any variation, morph, hybrid info, I'd love to learn!

I've attached some photos, and also have links to video clips to share for ID purposes.

Feeder View Video
Bath View Video

Attachments

• pb 0429 b.png
    pb 0429 b.png
    4 MB · Views: 37
  • pb 0429 b1.png
    pb 0429 b1.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
  • pb 0429.png
    pb 0429.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 35
  • pb 0429 1.png
    pb 0429 1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
A first year bird yet to complete it's adult moult?
Good thought, but painted buntings remain a green color, much like the coloring of the female for the first 2 years of life. When they start to change into adult plumage they look more spotty & ratty rather than such dilute coloring, and the chest still remains a brilliant reddish color as it's coming in rather than orange.

Good thought, but painted buntings remain a green color, much like the coloring of the female for the first 2 years of life. When they start to change into adult plumage they look more spotty & ratty rather than such dilute coloring, and the chest still remains a brilliant reddish color as it's coming in rather than orange.
This must be unusual for a passerine, most are effectively in adult plumage within a calendar year aren't they?

This must be unusual for a passerine, most are effectively in adult plumage within a calendar year aren't they?
Apologies, I misspoke. To clarify, their adult plumage happens IN the second year, not that they are green for a full two years. As far as it being unusual, I am unsure. Though, given their bright colors, it's a quite useful preservation trait!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back