• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Lady migration (1 Viewer)

Quite a few today, nearly all looking very tatty and worn and most not stopping at all. The one below, about the best one I saw, did hang around in the morning sun just long enough to have its photo taken before it, too, was off again.

Attachments

• painted-lady-may-30-2009-11.jpg
    painted-lady-may-30-2009-11.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 80
Reached Lithuania today - had about 30, all fresh tidy individuals, on a patch of Bog Myrtle. Hopefully big numbers to follow.

Several 100 heading along the coast at St. Agnes Head, Cornwall in a w-wsw direction this afternoon, most in pristine condition. An hour or so later on the return walk scores were feeding on sea thrift and heather.

Fantastic sight.

Reached Lithuania today - had about 30, all fresh tidy individuals, on a patch of Bog Myrtle. Hopefully big numbers to follow.

Hoorah!!.........had to happen didn't it?.......excellent!

ps...talking to some folks this afternoon who, this morning i think, walked into a field of thistles and a huge cloud of 'ladies' went up...estimated 4,000..!!! Wud like to have seen that...!

20+ on a small patch of Valerian in Braunton this morning.

Jon

Any hummingbird hawkmoths yet?..am hoping for a good showing this year...tho not on the 'scale' of the Lady-invasion.....! [valerian is always a magnet for 'hummers'...as i'm sure you all know...it also acts as a magnet on me too]....

I have to admit, I've only recently become aware of this event. One flew past me at work last week and I didn't pay much attention other than 'don't see them too often'. In two hours on the Ash Ranges heathland on Friday evening I counted 41. Most were of the old and worn variety. When two came together, they engaged in what looked like aggressive aerial sparring, would that be the right interpretation? Many were sunning themselves on the paths and when disturbed (often by my shadow falling on them) they usually flew up and settled back down in roughly the same spot, which helped with taking photos. I'll post a few later to show the variety of tattiness.

I'll post a few later to show the variety of tattiness.

Continuing arrival in Eastern Europe, another few dozen today - still not massive numbers compared with Britain, etc - but given the first only arrived yesterday, would expect better numbers soon.

No tatty ones here, all super condition - I suppose a new generation.

Attachments

• Painted Lady lab.jpg
    Painted Lady lab.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 69
Good couple of dozen on Trent in Stoke today. Only one I got close to was pristine. Peacock nearby was, however, the worse for wear....

The PL migration has reached the highlands of Norway too, have seen at least 25 in the evening hours today- on their way north, and circling around warm roofs of houses that had the last evening sun shining on them.

Svein B

Hundreds (if not thousands probably) on north lewis today. One observer alone reckoned on 300 at the Butt of Lewis. Next stop Iceland!

That is if they decide to stop in Iceland!!!

Check the Hilbre Obs blogspot:

http://www.hilbrebirdobs.blogspot.com/

We had incredible numbers yesterday but dwindled to just a few hundred today.

They have all moved inland now. Large numbers across south & east of county. Difficult for me to estimate numbers seen today. Every time i turned around more would appear!!!

Saw a couple last weekend (bank holiday), but last night we went onto the Somerset Levels (20.00 - 21.00) and were shocked at the amount in one area alone. There had to have been 35 possibly more within a space of 400 - 500 yards, near a pumping station. Terrific sightings, except that every time they landed they closed their wings straight away! It certainly is an amazing influx this year!

Sue PS. Tried to upload 3 images, but first time ever that I can't do so??!

Last edited:
More on their way, plenty moving through this part of France yesterday, all in prisitine condition compared with the ones a week ago which really were bedraggled ladies.

Back at Nagshead RSPB Reserve this morning but numbers have now dropped to just a trickle - probably 6 to 12 seen all morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back