• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pallid or common swifts? Baghdad, March 2021 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, going through some older, poorer quality photos I would like to ask if it is possible to discern whether these are of pallid or common swifts or possibly showing each. Photos were taken at a hotel in central Baghdad that has a 15 story tower, beside the Tigris River. FWIW, Merlin consistently over the years has identified the swifts around the hotel as Pallid, with once in a while claiming it hears a Common.
In favour of Pallid I thought was the scaly under-body and extensive whitish throat in Photo 1, and the light-dark difference in many of the photos between inner and outer wings. However, the wings appear pointed to me. Of course, given photo quality I could be seeing things that are not there:) Also, for structure to me the wings seem broad and the tail relatively short compared to the body behind the wing.
The photos are most probably of different birds. The first 6 were taken on Mar 20, 2021 and the last 2 - 1198 & 1199 = on April 1. The date stamp on the photos are correct but the time is off by 4 hours.
All comments and critiques welcomed.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c9b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c9b.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 59
  • fullsizeoutput_1131.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1131.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 59
  • fullsizeoutput_1137.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1137.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 49
  • fullsizeoutput_1138.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1138.jpeg
    814.6 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_1139.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1139.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_113a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_113a.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 45
  • fullsizeoutput_119a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_119a.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_1199.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1199.jpeg
    653.5 KB · Views: 46
  • fullsizeoutput_1198.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1198.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Overall, the contrasting images suggest Pallid for me, eye mask, saddle, pale throat on pics. 1,4,6 and 8 in particular Steve imo.

Cheers

Thanks Ken. Much appreciated. I believe they are tough to tell apart and the quality of the photos don't help much in doing so.
thanks again Ken
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back