• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pacific Ocean - Gulf of Panama (2 Viewers)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers
Pacific Ocean – Gulf of Panama
One Booby landing on the boat, I tried to take a picture but it was heavy rain at the time. And even without the rain it would have been poor with my Scooby Doo pocket camera.

Black Bill
Black or very dark wings
Belly and throat dark grey, like a pencil grey
The feet looked to be light, maybe pinkish/ yellowish

At the time I had 7 Brown Boobies around, but this bird looked to be bigger and I imagine the bird to have a slightly different behaviour.

Is it possible to ID the bird by the poor picture provided as an attachment?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 184.jpg
    184.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 38
I'd say you have an immature Brown Booby: ML576296271 Brown Booby Macaulay Library

The other booby options, Blue-footed and Peruvian, aren't as dark in the chest/belly area and the Red-footed Bobby is pretty rare in the region, plus it would have a clearer bill color.
On balance I think you're right. However, the second photo shows the feet with a reddish tinge (confirmed by the op) which matches red-footed (brown should be yellowish. Oth, bill is dark, good for brown (could be imm red-foot), and tail looks dark (brown). Red-footed should be very slightly smaller if anything

Thank you Igonz1008 and THE_FERN!

Darn! JUST AS I WAS GETTING CONFIDENT with the bobbies.

This bird kept for it self and looked a wee bit bigger. The other hunted together.

I will keep my report to 7 brown.

Thanks again, highly appreciated.

Aladdin

Thank you Igonz1008 and THE_FERN!

Darn! JUST AS I WAS GETTING CONFIDENT with the bobbies.

This bird kept for it self and looked a wee bit bigger. The other hunted together.

I will keep my report to 7 brown.

Thanks again, highly appreciated.

Aladdin
Something that can be a bit confusing for a number of bird species (especially for Sulids and other pelagic families), the immature individuals can look bigger than the adults due to the fluffed-up feathers that are not fully molted into the sleeker adult plumage.

Something that can be a bit confusing for a number of bird species (especially for Sulids and other pelagic families), the immature individuals can look bigger than the adults due to the fluffed-up feathers that are not fully molted into the sleeker adult plumage.
Thanks!

I see some burds during the spring, especially black birdscetc and the baby loojs to be twice the size of the parent

Kind regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back