• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama - Bocas del Toro: Common Black Hawk? (1 Viewer)

Mario-F

Dear users,

I took this picture on August 14th 2018 at the Isla Bastimentos (Bocas del Toro, Panama) during heavy rain.

Is it a Common Black Hawk?

Thanks in advance!
Mario

Attachments

• DSC08762 Common Black Hawk_14-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Panama.jpg
    DSC08762 Common Black Hawk_14-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Panama.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 60
Isn't Great BH in that area expected to have blue-grey on the bill rather than yellow?

Niels

This is Common Black Hawk. In Central America, the bill color is pretty reliable for ID. In both species, the cere (fleshy base of the bill) is yellowish, though frequently more yellow in Common and duller/more gray in Great Black Hawk. Both species can show a bit of a bare cheek, though it's more common, I believe, in Common Black Hawk. However, looking at just the bill, and in Central America - a yellow base to the bill is diagnostic for Common Black Hawk. I think if you have a bill that is all black to the cere, it is -near- diagnostic for Great Black Hawk but other features should be considered to be sure.

Also of note, Common Black Hawk is by far the more common species in Bocas del Toro.

For reference, a great article by John van Dort on Common vs Great Black Hawk ID. Beware that the given field marks and ID criteria do not apply in Eastern Panamá and in South America.

https://ebird.org/camerica/news/id-challenges-the-buteogallus-hawks

Thank you all for your opinions on this bird!
In my memory the bird was not that big, at least not big enough for a Great Black Hawk, which I saw at another location during our journey!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back