• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G9 (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
Any 600mm lenses to fit the G9? Looking for some extra reach, my 100-400mm zoom is very good but I'm chasing some shots of birds that are hard to get close to!

That would be 1200mm equivalent, I tend to just crop at that distance as you’ll never get a stellar shot without superb glass at that size. I guess adapting Canon glass or the Oly 300 with a 2x TC would be the best options currently. The new 100-400 PL accepts TCs as you may know, a 1.4 TC will get you native 560mm, but a 2x might be pushing it, I look forward to seeing some results when it is out.

I am tempted by the G9 ii for a little extra cropping power.

This one has a built in 1.25x TC, making it effectively a 500 mm lens:

Otherwise using one of the lens adapters you can add something like the 150-600 lenses from sigma or tamron. I have no idea how the image quality or the AF would work using such a combo.

Of course, in some situations it would be possible to "zoom using your feet" or in other words get closer.
Niels

That would be 1200mm equivalent, I tend to just crop at that distance as you’ll never get a stellar shot without superb glass at that size. I guess adapting Canon glass or the Oly 300 with a 2x TC would be the best options currently. The new 100-400 PL accepts TCs as you may know, a 1.4 TC will get you native 560mm, but a 2x might be pushing it, I look forward to seeing some results when it is out.

I am tempted by the G9 ii for a little extra cropping power.
I agree the new PL100-400 ii with a TC is probably your best bet without spending a ton of money. Image quality is going to suffer because you will likely run out of light and have to push ISO, also getting into diffraction territory with high f numbers. Any optical imperfections will also be magnified with a TC. That said, the images may still serve your needs.

If 600 mm is precisely what you want, then the oly 300 mm f4 prime + 2X teleconverter mentioned by Essex Tern would seem to be what you are looking for. People on the DP Review forums get some impressive results with this combination. (Though personally I have struggled to get the same results – I'm not sure why).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back