• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paphos revisited April 19-27th 2022 (1 Viewer)

With LW having always been one of my favourite birds (60+ years) I’ve seen a few!
In the (imo) unlikelihood of the claimed Orphean being demoted to LW, it would mean that the Paphos bird would have to be another race or a completely different species to your reckoning?
Here are a few LW’s, shot in the garden, make of them as you wish…but don’t suggest that they are all one and the same.😮

Attachments

• D309CB36-03F7-4FE1-92BB-8E2286E86E14.jpeg
    D309CB36-03F7-4FE1-92BB-8E2286E86E14.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 1BA67E86-F448-49DE-BBE4-CD3622F703CD.jpeg
    1BA67E86-F448-49DE-BBE4-CD3622F703CD.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 41B59059-83CC-4466-BFBB-981107F436DB.jpeg
    41B59059-83CC-4466-BFBB-981107F436DB.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 15
  • FBEEBFE0-2527-4902-868F-2D610650EFC5.jpeg
    FBEEBFE0-2527-4902-868F-2D610650EFC5.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 4E6DE4A9-7B8D-442F-AD03-80714264343E.jpeg
    4E6DE4A9-7B8D-442F-AD03-80714264343E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • E075392D-911F-4EDD-9B9D-06BC60EADC88.jpeg
    E075392D-911F-4EDD-9B9D-06BC60EADC88.jpeg
    952.3 KB · Views: 22
Comparing birds of different age classes from different seasons from different parts of its range means very little, as I'm sure you know. Either way, if I was to play your game, I'd say the 5th photo in this most recent batch looks more or less a dead ringer for your Paphos bird (in better light conditions obviously-in case you were going to go that route).
Anyway, as a birder who's extremely familiar with LW and seen some EOW, here at the closest country to Cyprus, this was my two cents. More than this and you'll have to take this to the ID forum I'm afraid.

Comparing birds of different age classes from different seasons from different parts of its range means very little, as I'm sure you know. Either way, if I was to play your game, I'd say the 5th photo in this most recent batch looks more or less a dead ringer for your Paphos bird (in better light conditions obviously-in case you were going to go that route).
Anyway, as a birder who's extremely familiar with LW and seen some EOW, here at the closest country to Cyprus, this was my two cents. More than this and you'll have to take this to the ID forum I'm afraid.
Feel free to take it to the forum kuzey, comparing the last image that I posted to the Paphos bird…imho is like comparing chalk to cheese or lions to tigers.
Trying not to be rude, I think we live on different planets! 👍

Well I won't get too much into the troubles of Lesser Whitethroat taxa in the Middle East but the new photo only confirms by previous concerns as far as I'm concerned; small body, short tail, bill still small, and no undertail markings. Compare the head with the rest of the body in those two photos and you can see how different their proportions are. Behavior is, well, changeable, and apparently so is the cap base line: ML21930331 Lesser Whitethroat (Lesser) Macaulay Library.
Sorry to turn this into an ID debate.
Am I dreaming or can I see undertail markings on ...5047.jpeg.

Photo quality makes it difficult to be sure but still (pretty good given how difficult these things are to capture...)

Am I dreaming or can I see undertail markings on ...5047.jpeg.

Photo quality makes it difficult to be sure but still (pretty good given how difficult these things are to capture...)
That's an Orphean Ken put for comparison, not the bird in question.
Also I compared the Paphos bird with the 5th photo, not the last (6th).

That's an Orphean Ken put for comparison, not the bird in question.
Also I compared the Paphos bird with the 5th photo, not the last (6th).
Oops my bad: didn't read properly. On others [e.g. 1E59.jpeg], I think I see a brownish tinge to the upper parts which supports lesser whitethroat: it's obviously difficult to be sure because of the light.

Kuzey, having looked extensively at UTC images of Orphean Warbler, it would appear that the suffused spotting is variable to say the least, and the strength or lack of, is very much down to the lighting…ie strong light appears to diminish their value and dull light helps to heighten the contrast. (Lesser Whitethroat does not have streaking to the UTC’s).

You will note that on my shots the UTC “streaking” is very much visible…..as far as the bill is concerned, it’s very much dependant on the angle that it’s viewed from,
at some angles it looks less robust than at others, when it can look “much” heavier.

I’ve included 1st image, a “typical” LW that I shot on the headland (even allowing for it having been taken in good light) looking nothing like the bird in question, which has an almost “solid black cap” and in some shots a “shaggy” rear crown….yet to see a LW sporting these cosmetics, although you will see these features not uncommonly on the web for Orphean Warbler.

Cheers

Attachments

• 90D7122A-3CD9-4C8F-89F5-40E0C674E44D.jpeg
    90D7122A-3CD9-4C8F-89F5-40E0C674E44D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 1F102E44-291A-404A-8A6D-20C2D650CAFE.jpeg
    1F102E44-291A-404A-8A6D-20C2D650CAFE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 834B3AF7-E8AB-48EE-B33D-591874351788.jpeg
    834B3AF7-E8AB-48EE-B33D-591874351788.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 12E7D70A-349F-468D-9565-879D71F6749B.jpeg
    12E7D70A-349F-468D-9565-879D71F6749B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
The Helenic Rarities comitee would love to hear of the Hooded Wheatear. The Bee-eater prolly too, though I think it's been removed from the rarity list. More of a scarce passage migrant through Greece.

The Helenic Rarities comitee would love to hear of the Hooded Wheatear. The Bee-eater prolly too, though I think it's been removed from the rarity list. More of a scarce passage migrant through Greece.
Does the Hellenic Rarities Committee cover Cyprus?

David

If we just deal with the “last three images” Richard, how does one interpret the UTC markings?
If it's ...CAFE.jpeg etc then surely unmarked. Any darkish "markings" on those images are shadows from feather placements, not markings like in the Orphean warbler photo

I'm sure there will be a Cyprus Rarities Committee and I guess Colin Richardson is part of it.
I don't believe Colin is involved with any RC at present, having stood down back in 2015 and certainly not in 2019 - Jane Stylianou being the Cypriot Recorder and Chair of the RC.....which included Martin Hellicar and Chris Lamsdell.

If it's ...CAFE.jpeg etc then surely unmarked. Any darkish "markings" on those images are shadows from feather placements, not markings like in the Orphean warbler photo
If you trawl OW utc images they can be distinctly variable.
At this stage, I’m unsure as to what might be feather tract and what might be a pattern in the making. That to one side, the contrastingly straight black lined cap, against a white throat, is not what I’m used to seeing in a LW.

Further, brown tones to the mantle/wings I suspect, are age related, as this can be seen when one trawls the web for images of OW.
I’m currently seeking clarity on this bird from people who are more experienced than I, (having seen just the two OWarblers). However, one thing I can be sure about, is that it looked nothing like any LW that I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Three years since our last visit by courtesy of COVID, after a seamless three hour and fifty minute flight from LGW we were deposited into a sun setting Paphos, where the “stiff joints”were soon relaxed with a kebab washed down with a bottle of Othello then zzzzz til dawn.

Whence the seven days of non-stop hunting would start, averaging 7 miles per day, something that my “ankles” would confirm throughout.😩
The morning of the 20th got off to a fantastic start….with a presumed (no ref.material at hand) male Hooded Wheatear opening up my account!

Watching the bird pirouetting vertically high into the air after insects, then returning swiftly to rock base was almost breathtaking!, a gymnastic execution that would imo exceed any “flycatcher” attempts.
For me well worth the cover charge of €2.25 entrance to the Architectural ruin…and I’d only just begun!

Accompanying the “Hooded” were Northern and Isabelline Wheatears also Tawny and Red-throated Pipits, all regular at site and certainly a joy to reconnect with after such a long absence which hopefully will not return.

Moving on up towards the lighthouse the resident Crested Larks, Sardinian Warblers and prolific House Sparrows seemed to be never far away, when a quick scan through a rough grass area produced my first tick…Jackdaw!
Certainly never encountered on previous visits (perhaps something I should keep quiet about 😂)

In the same field adjacent to and North of the amphitheatre, I caught up with Whinchat and Woodchat Shrike also a flyover Hoopoe in support….things were looking good!

To be continued….
Wow ken superb write up and those shots are stunning seems I only missed the hooded and the other goodies by a couple days was lovely meeting u cheers and we'll done mark 👍

Little did I know, that Friday the 22nd was going to “spectacularly” upstage the previous day and provide much excitement….if only for me!

Entering the site at 8.30am I followed the path North to the “ruin” that held the Wheatears, en route noting a larger flock of Yellow Wagtails than the previous day c30, composed of mostly feldegg and beema types.

Arriving at the ruin, I noted 4 Tawny Pipits, 2-3 Red-throated Pips, 4 Tripits, 2 Whinchat,
4 Northern Wheatear, one Isabelline and the male Hooded still present…it’s 3rd day!
A flyover Curlew and then a Sprawk running the “Hoodie gauntlet” looking somewhat anxious as it beat a hasty retreat!

Another look in the bushes provided a 2nd Woodchat Shrike and what appeared to be the same Eastern Olivaceous, Spotted and Collared Flycatcher hanging out together albeit loosely.

A call from the missus meant that the lunch time break was imminent, as I stumbled purposefully out the exit, I looked behind and vowed….that I would be back!
After lunch and with great difficulty, I made the supreme sacrifice and returned to the “office”😊

On return I altered the circuit route, going anti-clockwise this time, then adding a more Eastern loop, however with nothing out of the norm being seen, I reverted to my regular clockwise route deciding to quit for the day relishing a dip in the “very” cold pool followed by a cuppa!

As I emerged from the avenue of Tamarisks, I looked back down the track towards Paphos Town on the hill, when I noticed what looked like a Parakeet sitting on a completely dead tree (with head turned away).
I mused that I’d travelled all this way, only to find one of those “buggers” that I’m surrounded by back home!

Then it turned it’s head!!! my initial outburst was in the WTF vein, but not just because of it’s veracity….it was because between it and moi was a bush, that once if aligned between us, I could if lucky, get much, much closer…perhaps to within c20m distant.

Making as much “quiet” stumbling as was humanly possible, I arrived at said bush with heart pounding, slowly inching my way round hoping that I’d get a “flight” shot if nothing else.

With baited breath and approximating “subjects” height in said tree, I blindly slid round with camera to eye, then when “we eye-balled” I just hit the button, hoping that I’d get something decent with my “temperamental” camera whose software often “slips” modes during operation.

It’s fair to say, that with my kit behaving itself and taking the distance into account, I have no complaints….also my 2nd Paphos tick!
Wow blue cheeked beeater would have been fantastic to have gotten a shot of this or any blue cheeked as u know my trusty Nikon Coolpixp900 of 7 years bit the dust after only three days lens motor issue,I did see one distantly on the main A6 paphos to Limassol motorway was this bird still present on the Saturday 23/4?

The imaged bird was present for perhaps several minutes Mark, before flying off in a Southerly direction over the avenue of Tamarisk trees towards the coast.

Can’t help you with the date as I’m currently away from my diary, will be back tomorrow night and many thanks for your kind comments much appreciated.

Cheers
Ken👍

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back