• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parabolic reflector and Sennheiser MKH20 – do they work together? (1 Viewer)

MikeOates

Hi, my first post, so it’s a bit of an introduction, but with some specific questions, sorry if it’s a bit long.

I have been making audio recordings for a couple of years, but of music and lectures, certainly nothing outside in nature. This is partly because my recording equipment is not very portable, i.e. a rack of equipment including a 24 track digital recorder and enough equipment to record a full orchestra. Anyway, I wanted to make some of my recordings much more easy to setup and lighter to carry, this would allow me to travel by train for example to a venue for simple stereo recordings. So I have just bought a Fostex FR-2LE.

Now that I have experimented with it and realised that I am now VERY portable, I took it outside to see what sounds of nature I could record. That’s when I suddenly realised that I need to change how I record and/or possibly get some other equipment. I tied using a Rode NTG-2 (Hyper-cardioid) with windshield and deadcat. I got far too much background noise and not enough gain for the subject I wanted to hear.

Firstly I would like to record using what I have if possible and buy as little as is needed to get started. I have got some very fine microphones, a pair of Sennheiser MKH20’s. Just the job in damp conditions, but not very good when you want to focus on a particular animal, bird or other natural sound. So I think the first thing I need is a parabolic reflector.

What I want to end up with is stereo recording using a parabolic reflector with the Sennheiser MKH20’s at the focus with a separation plate between the mics as shown in http://www.telinga.com/stereo.htm.

So my initial questions are:

Where can I buy a parabolic reflector dish, just the dish as I can make any fittings needed or perhaps adapt a Sennheiser shockmount to suit. Or indeed, make my own dish, fibreglass etc, the main problem being obtaining the former the right size and shape.

Are these omni mics suitable for use in the parabolic reflector. From what I have read, using a reflector alters the frequency response of the recording loosing the bottom end, or is that increasing the higher end, which ever it is, you get a biased recording towards higher frequency. My thought was by using the MKH20 mics, this would help as these mics have a very flat response curve. But what I don’t know, is how will they fair.

Does the use of damping material on the outside of the reflector help reduce the higher frequency bias, or is this purely down to the size of dish in relation to frequency, i.e. the larger the dish the lower the frequency is reflected to the focus. I realise this will increase the weight.

I should add that I am not a bird watcher, but I am nevertheless very keen to record lots of subjects to the very best quality I can and birds will definitely be high on the list for recording.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,
First, on behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. Interesting post and hopefully some of our members will have some good suggestions for you.

Hi Mike, a few notes about Sennheiser mics in dishes !

I use an MKH 40/30 MS pair in a 20" reflector quite regularly.
As you may be aware, these mics are RF polarized and much less likely to be affected by damp and humidity.

The omni 20 has a very extended bottom end, which in honesty you will find a hassle in wildlife recording.
I think you'll end up filtering most sound below say 70Hz.
The combination of an extended LF response in a dish can make hand-holding near impossible, so a tripod can be useful.

Glassfibre dishes are available in the UK from Roger Ireland and of course the clear polycarbonate Telinga dishes from Auger Films.
The Telinga can be rolled (for a short time) for transport on aircraft for example, but is difficult to use with anything other than their specified mic assembly. Its optical transparency seems a good idea, till you cover it with a windshield, which you will almost invariably have to use !
The Amberwood reflector is excellent, with many people in the Wildlife Sound Recording Society owning them.

Information on the society and equipment notes here:
http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/index.html

If I recall there are some comments about using a pair of coincident mics in a dish with a small plastic baffle strapped between them. Worth a look.

The Fostex recorder is excellent for the money, with reasonable pre-amps and phantom. I use one as a second recorder to my Sound Devices. It can run quite happily for around 7 hours on a NiMH 7.2V Tamiya battery, so useful for unattended recordings.

Hope this helps. Its a fascinating subject, and one I'm sure you'll find quite different to the studio enviroment.

Andy

Last edited:
Andy,

Thanks for the pointers for reflectors, I will look them up. As for the MKH 20, I suppose my real question regarding it suitability should have been: Is an OMNI type mic suitable for use in a reflector, are there any disadvantages to using such a pattern, is it more susceptible to off axis pickup for example. I take on board your points about handling noise, hopefully with care and filtration should take care of that. I realise that your setup of a MKH 40/30 MS pair would be better, and I would certainly like such a pair in the future (for music recording as well), but I want to try with what I have if possible, especially as these type of mics are very expensive.

This type if recording certainly is very different, one of the very reasons I want to try. It’s difficult I know, but I like a challenge and producing high quality recordings of any subject I find exciting and rewarding. And I am also considering joining the Wildlife Sound Recording Society which I was aware of and I have been reading through their website..

And Dave, many thanks for the warm welcome :t:

Mike

One of the chaps in the Society has a Telinga dish and a couple of AT Cardioid condensers. He has baffled these with a piece of plastic seperating the 2 mics, which sit parallel to one another pointing into the dish.
I don't know how successful this would be with omnis.

The old school ideas about completely baffling the dish down the centre, I suspect would give better stereo seperation, but of course are more fiddly to setup. Each half of the dish having it's own focus. The collecting area of the dish is reduced, so you don't get as much acoustic gain.

With the MS rig, the mics are piggybacked without any baffling.

There have been other postings concerning the differences in performance and comb frequencies that occur with using parabolas, so a sift through the archive may help here.

It's certainly worth joining the WSRS.
I did when I was at college in the early eighties.
I'm still an apprecciative member, I learned a lot from other folk and made a lot of friends.
I have worked for the BBC for the last 22 years, being encouraged to apply by an employee and member back in my early years in the society.

Cheers
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back