• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Source of bird recording gear based in the UK (2 Viewers)

Elkhornsun

United States
I found this website that sells audio gear at very low prices.

I have a parabolic dish and stereo mic setup that I purchased from Telinga in Sweden and paid $1,100 plus shipping to the USA. The UK gear is considerably cheaper to buy. Their K2 mic has a 3.5mm plug that is going to work with nearly any audio recorder or even with an adapter can be connected to a smartphone.

Certainly cheaper than either the Telinga or Dodotronics gear (but without a stereo option).

For those about to purchase kit, it would be great to have a comparison with the main brands, both in terms or performance and durability. Do you get what you pay for, or is this equipment not that dissimilar? I note the cable comes round the dish, rather than through - does this lead to noise if the cable accidentally taps the dish?

The dish photos seem to show a solid dish, rather than a roll up one (like Telinga), which may not appeal to people wanting to travel with their kit.

Not everyone has $1200 to invest in the Telinga setup and so nice to have a far lower cost alternative. If recording bird calls the addition of a form of stereo adds nothing and in the field the vast majority of recordings are made with mono mics which provide both a greater signal strength with more directionality and reach as well as better weatherproofing like the MKH 416 or the MKH-70.

Not everyone has $1200 to invest in the Telinga setup and so nice to have a far lower cost alternative.
Agreed. The only point I was making was whether there is a difference n quality. A lot of birdwatchers appreciate the quality of high end binoculars and spend a fortune happily, but I personally think it is much harder to appreciate the ‘difference’ and ‘value’ of sound recording equipment.

If recording bird calls the addition of a form of stereo adds nothing
I think this depends. In a noisy environment (which could be multiple bird vocals), mono stacks all noises, making the recording very ‘crowded’. In stereo an off centre unwanted noise can s far less intrusive and more tolerable. It is interesting that Telinga no longer manufacture the Twin Science mono mic. They obviously think stereo is the way to go.
provide both a greater signal strength with more directionality
Sorry, I don’t follow this comment. As stereo mics have multiple mic elements, I don’t think there is a difference. A mic receives signal from half the dish, but then the two mic signals are combined - so I think the result is the same.

As far as I know the focus and gain of a dish is to do with the shape of the dish, so I don’t think stereo is less directional - it should be (according to Telinga) a equally focussed target, but with any type off axis ambient noise, recoded as a fainter stereo ‘background’.
MKH 416 or the MKH-70.
Not sure I follow. Aren’t these long guns incompatible with the cheap dish? To use a cardiodal mic in 15mm refraction tube, I think you need the Telinga Universal, but this is a lot of money (particularly as it without a mic!). And I think you would really want a cardiodal mic facing in (not a supercadiodal), as you want to pickup reflected sound from the whole dish. You can also use an omni (Telinga used to sell the twin science that had an omni mic) and in this case you get sound reflected from the dish and sound reaching the mic directly - a slightly warmer sound, less sensitive and directional, but you don’t ‘loose’ low frequency vocalisations and vocalisations out of the parabola focus.

Last edited:
Hello,
I would like to point out the link of an Italian manufacturer that makes parabolic microphones of excellent quality at very good prices. I have three different parabolas taken from this seller who designs and builds them, I use them for years for various purposes and situations and I am very happy with their quality.

Last edited:
I found this website that sells audio gear at very low prices.

I have a parabolic dish and stereo mic setup that I purchased from Telinga in Sweden and paid $1,100 plus shipping to the USA. The UK gear is considerably cheaper to buy. Their K2 mic has a 3.5mm plug that is going to work with nearly any audio recorder or even with an adapter can be connected to a smartphone.
I've used this for some time (after starting out with just a recorder and then an audiomoth device). A real step up in quality/sensitivity. Very happy with the results generally, although I don't have the comparison to the branded equipment. Very easy to use too.

Unfortunately sitting in a cupboard now, as I just don't have the time to go through recordings every day. Once there is robust automated software to go through the recordings then I'll start again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back