• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

parakeets in london (1 Viewer)

On a “battleship grey day”…they certainly light up the sky with their “lime stick squadroned loop the loops” at breathtaking pace, a joy to watch and behold!
With the loss of House Sparrow, Starling, Greenfinch, Bullfinch and now Collared Dove to name but a few, they come as a welcome diversion in these avian stretched times!

Attachments

• 25AD3EED-F044-41D1-843B-38EE97430264.jpeg
    25AD3EED-F044-41D1-843B-38EE97430264.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
They're here to stay.

From the comments I'd like to say they can decimate fruit trees, but they also have natural predators here. My two closest breeding pairs of Peregrines take good numbers of these & along with Feral Pigeon, the most regularly taken prey, presumably due to the number present. A friend of mine who monitors on of the Peregrine pairs said that the youngsters preferred parakeet to pigeon.

Sparrowhawks will take them, though I suspect much less frequently. An article in British Birds a few years back also mentioned Hobby & Tawny Owl taking them in Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. I've also heard of crows killing individuals-but maybe these were sick birds?

They're here to stay.

From the comments I'd like to say they can decimate fruit trees, but they also have natural predators here. My two closest breeding pairs of Peregrines take good numbers of these & along with Feral Pigeon, the most regularly taken prey, presumably due to the number present. A friend of mine who monitors on of the Peregrine pairs said that the youngsters preferred parakeet to pigeon.

Sparrowhawks will take them, though I suspect much less frequently. An article in British Birds a few years back also mentioned Hobby & Tawny Owl taking them in Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. I've also heard of crows killing individuals-but maybe these were sick birds?
They’re also extremely efficient at “highlighting” the presence of any BOP in the vicinity and have enabled me some good shots of the latter.
Regarding the decimation of fruit trees and buds, they are no doubt taking up the slack to an extent with the absence of Bully and Hawfinch. 👍

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back