• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paxton Pits (1 Viewer)

Moosebird

I'm in my late 30s and had never heard a real live Nightingale so, after some helpful suggestions from BirdForum contribitors, decided to visit Paxton Pits in Huntingdonshire. I arrived at 8.00 a.m. and stepped out to a car park chorus courtesy of Lesser Whitethroats, Willow Warblers and Garden Warblers. My worries that I'd arrived too late to catch the site's star turn were put to rest barely 10 minutes into my walk along the "Heron " trail when a Nightingale struck up a few yards away from me and then helpfully came out of hiding and sang from the top of a nearby bush. The rest of the walk was carried out with Nightingale song almost permanently in the background. Paxton Pits is obviously well cared for and everyone involved with its upkeep should be very proud. The only surprise, not altogether unpleasant, was that I seemed to be the only person there.

Well done! Sounds like a super day.
I have not seen or heard a Nightingale for 30-35 years. Last time was at a local patch in Warwickshire but now sadly all gone.
I hope to rectify this in June with my annual Norfolk week. Paxton sound great, not been but may try for a day when work allows.

Regards

Kevin

Next week is Nightingale week at PP (and possibly over the BH weekend??)with various events planned. I am going on the walk 9-11pm Thursday evening but there is also a dawn walk (not sure which day) and I think a family day too. Being a relative newcomer to birding I have only seen a Nightingale once at PP, in the scrub area, and never heard them sing, so am looking forward greatly to Thurs. I am a 'Friend of Paxton Pits' and have enjoyed some interesting lectures and walks there. Live in hope of seeing otter there one day, as others have! We are lucky to have some very knowledgable people who give up their valuable spare time, such as Julian Hughes who is head of Species Conservation at the RSPB and Trevor and Veronica Gunton who many people on Bird Forum will know. All the volunteers work very hard to make it a great place to visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back