• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax HD D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 ED DC AW (2 Viewers)

7 years on and the 150-450mm is still going strong .... Since the original post with the K5IIs I have had the K-3, K-3II, K-1 and these were taken with the K-3III

IMGP0784.jpg

IMGP1031.jpg

IMGP0997.jpg

IMGP0680.jpg

7 years on and the 150-450mm is still going strong .... Since the original post with the K5IIs I have had the K-3, K-3II, K-1 and these were taken with the K-3III

View attachment 1450760

View attachment 1450761

View attachment 1450762

View attachment 1450764
As a long time Pentax user (K3 and K1 currently, lots of lenses, DA*300 the longest though + a 1.4TC) I've been mulling over a D500 or OM-1D. Am I mad? K3III on offer at the moment seems tempting but the buffer is tiny! This is a problem for me when I shoot trains, as a few burst during a run past soon fill up a buffer. I'd appreciate your thoughts Mike. I recently went to a photo day at the Hawk Conservancy, quite a frustrating experience, but a few actually in focus! (see FlickR ArleImages for results)

As a long time Pentax user (K3 and K1 currently, lots of lenses, DA*300 the longest though + a 1.4TC) I've been mulling over a D500 or OM-1D. Am I mad? K3III on offer at the moment seems tempting but the buffer is tiny! This is a problem for me when I shoot trains, as a few burst during a run past soon fill up a buffer. I'd appreciate your thoughts Mike. I recently went to a photo day at the Hawk Conservancy, quite a frustrating experience, but a few actually in focus! (see FlickR ArleImages for results)

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the late reply, not been on here for a while.

I sold the K-3 MKIII in the end, it focuses a lot faster than any previous Pentax camera but I still think it lags behind the competition (even the much older D500) and is a lot of money for what it is.

I have had a couple of D500's and if you want to stick with a DSLR then this is the one to go for, it's perfect for pretty much anything ... I am currently using a 7D MKII (as well as the K-1) and that is a close second to the Nikon but I only chose it because I have a good selection of Canon L lenses.

I have seen a lot of good things about the OM-1 and 100-400mm and I really do think mirrorless is the way forward, I also had the Sony A9 and 200-600mm which was pretty much perfect for me bar the 24MP sensor which was not great if needing to crop (which you do 90% of the time with wildlife).

I am currently weighing up my options and I think my Pentax days may be numbered ... as I said previously, mirrorless (for me anyway) is the way forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back