• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrines at Malham Cove (1 Viewer)

Skipton

Trevor Wood
Come and see the Peregrines and their two chicks, Gryke and Clint, at Malham Cove in the Yorkshire Dales. The RSPB along with the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority have scopes set up every day from 10:30 to 16:30 at the watch site. The youngsters are almost ready to take their first flight. I have pics of both adults and their chicks in my gallery.... take a look, then come and see them for real. I will be next on watch at the site on Tuesday 27th June.... be sure to say hello if you happen to visit that day.

That's good news, I thought I read that one of the pair had been found shot. Was that last year or perhaps another pair in Yorks?

Kezza said:
That's good news, I thought I read that one of the pair had been found shot. Was that last year or perhaps another pair in Yorks?

That must be be another pair in Yorkshire. Last year the Peregrines at the Cove were not successfull in rearing any chicks..... the female was too immature.

yeah, i was there last year, and they still showed well despite not rearing any chicks.....a smashing place to visit.

Skipton said:
That must be be another pair in Yorkshire. Last year the Peregrines at the Cove were not successfull in rearing any chicks..... the female was too immature.

I've just found the RSPB article I read, it was the pair at Bempton Cliffs nature reserve in East Yorks, last year.

I wish I'd known about Malham Cove two years ago. Would love to have seen them whilst on hols. Maybe another time. Great pics by the way. :t:

Trev I called the second day of this season you were opened. It was a brilliant day. Seems like now would be a good opportunity to call again and bring some more RSPB leaflets for Freiston Shore and Frampton marsh reserves as an excuse to come up.

Trev

Brilliant news about the chicks we called in a few weeks back and it was excellent. The dedication and patience of the volunteers was a real credit to everyone involved. The views from the top of the cove were really good as well. Are the green woodpeckers still around?

ikw101 said:
Trev

Are the green woodpeckers still around?

One flew across my path to a distant tree when I was last on watch, Tuesday this week. Still waiting to get a photograph of one of the little blighters though. Fingers crossed for next Tuesday.... going to Devon for a few days, so won't be there until then.

I went down to Malham Cove in early April and I have to say, what an amazing place it is! , the wardens on duty were all very freindly and gave everyone there an oportunity to see the Peregrines when possible, also had cracking views of redstart, green woodpecker, spotted flycatcher and wheatear. Anyone considering a trip to Malham will not be disapointed, even if the birds don't show, this area of outstanding beauty is well worth a visit.
Steve

Happy to report that the two youngsters took to the air for the first time Friday (23rd June). On watch yesterday after a my brief trip to Devon. Splendid day watching their arial antics. Saw the Green woodpecker briefly..... alas still no photo. The Wrens have fledged and were very active in the undergrowth..... so were the midges, ouch! sratch, scratch.

Skipton said:
Happy to report that the two youngsters took to the air for the first time Friday (23rd June). On watch yesterday after a my brief trip to Devon. Splendid day watching their arial antics. Saw the Green woodpecker briefly..... alas still no photo. The Wrens have fledged and were very active in the undergrowth..... so were the midges, ouch! sratch, scratch.

Hi there

Just read your thread with great interest as I'm taking my dad there tomorrow morning.

I am praying that I get to see a Peregrine since it is a 4 hour round trip which has to be squeezed in before the England game ;)

I'm also hoping that there will be other bonus species like Little Owl or Redstart around - just to make the first half of the day perfect !!

Mal Skelton

malskelton said:
Hi there

Just read your thread with great interest as I'm taking my dad there tomorrow morning.

I am praying that I get to see a Peregrine since it is a 4 hour round trip which has to be squeezed in before the England game ;)

I'm also hoping that there will be other bonus species like Little Owl or Redstart around - just to make the first half of the day perfect !!

Mal Skelton

Hi, Mal,

The scopes will be set up at 10:30 to catch the family when they are perched; don't forget your bins (as if!) to view the arial displays of the youngsters. Wednesday when I was last on watch the Little Owl didn't show, we usually find it perched on the rocks close to its nest site in an old rabbit burrow.... fingers crossed for tomorrow. The Redstarts didn't want to show either, the two families (one from a natural nest site and one from a box) have fledged.... last Monday they were very active. I hope to be there until lunch-time tomorrow.... look forward to seeing you.

Was up there early yesterday morning (7:30am). Lucky to get some nice close-up shots of one of the youngsters (Gryke, I think). Just posted a couple to my gallery. Take a look; sure are growing up fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back