• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peruvian Birds! Help Needed. (1 Viewer)

pmaas

I've been in Peru last summer (July-August 2004), and saw many birds. Som of them I do not recognise, or am not sure of them.

Image of a Peruvian Pelican?
Is this a Peruvian Pelican, or a Brown Pelican? I saw them in the Paracas National Reserve in Peru. Is it maybe a young one.

Image of Green Ibis or Puna Ibis?
Is this a Green Ibis or a Puna Ibis? I saw them on the artificial island of the Uros Indians in Lake Titicaca (border Peru/Bolivia).

Image of unknown sea birds!
Does anyone know what kind of sea birds this are? I know it is not a very good photo, but I hope someone of you will recognise this species. I saw them at the Ballestas Islands in the Bay of Paracas in Peru.

Thanks,

Peter

I agree with Tim on the two first. The third look like a group of juv. Inca Terns to me. Habitat speak against Grey Gull - I've only ever seen them on sandy beaches, where they have a tendency to run around in a fashion almost comparable to Sanderlings! Seeing a group of Grey Gulls on Islas Ballestas seem even less likely, they're not very pelagic (as you may be aware they breed in the inland desert - sometimes as much as 100 km. from the coast). Due to the running habits, the Grey Gull has quite long legs - longer than the individuals on the photos. Furthermore, at least one individual on the photo seem to have a pale orangish tip to the bill (typical imm. Inca Tern) and several individuals also have a white marking on the lower back. The only white I would expect to see on a perched Grey is a single white line on the wing (on the secondaries). I do think I can see a bit of white near the cheeks, but the moustache which is so striking in the adults is far less obvious and much shorter in imm's, while juv's have none at all. The Inca Tern is one of the most numerous species on Islas Ballestas.

Last edited:
I agree with Rasmus, they are not Gray gulls larus modestus. Inca terns would be a good choice.
The white line Rasmus, Isn´t that present only on the secondaries!(?)
JanJ

JANJ said:
I agree with Rasmus, they are not Gray gulls larus modestus. Inca terns would be a good choice.
The white line Rasmus, Isn´t that present only on the secondaries!(?)
JanJ

Oops - yes... corrected. Often, it isn't visible at all on perched birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back