• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippines Feb-Mar '23 (Candaba, Luzon) (1 Viewer)

Steve Schoech

Supporter
Just back from near 3 weeks, Luzon-Palawan-Cebu-Bohol, with several pics I'll need expert help with - I know I'm able to tap a wealth of knowledge and greatly appreciate the help given my largely US experience. This individual was at the Candaba rice-fields (RIP Candaba Bird Sanctuary, Luzon:cry:) 22 February 2023. I, and likely others, have struggled with distinguishing Javan vs. Chinese Herons in their non-breeding plumage previously. The range maps in Allen's 'new' Birds of the Philippines show both there in the winter. Interestingly, his maps suggest that only the Chinese heron is in central Palawan where I also struggled (I'll get to those eventually as I'm early working me way through the 1,584 pics).

This image has been cropped and slightly lightened with no other editing. Thanks in advance!!! I owe you all 🍺(sorry, spent 1.5 decades in Memphis).

Attachments

• Javan'Chinese Heron-.jpg
    Javan'Chinese Heron-.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back