• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippines: Mindanao, Cebu, Bohul, Luzon and Palawan (2 Viewers)

On list of possible Sunbirds/Spiderhunters for Los Banos/ Makiling we were told we saw all possible by Jops except Naked-faced Spiderhunter, Crimson wasn't on the possible list, so unless a vagrant it is not expected there.
Only possible confusing species with Magnificent / Crimson in my view would be Handsome (Aethopyga Bella)which showed much more red than on the plate (note - Lovely only shown) and also has a yellow rump and blue tail. If seen through bins in a fleeting view without underparts viewed and nothing to compare with you could miss the smaller size. We saw a number of them here.

Cheers David. I had already ruled out Handsome Sunbird on the fact that the species I saw was a complete Red top half including breast and throat \ head. I have looked at dozens of Purple throated in differing lights and am convinced that wasn't the species in question. So.......

Either it is a Vagrant Crimson Sunbird or ....... madness has set in.

Obviously I will never know now which is a shame. I had plenty of opportunity to get an image but at the time really didn't think I was looking at something that was out of range.... Live and learn I think.

I will keep it as a possible if Crimson is sighted \ reported their in the future.

Dave

As promised on another post I have listed the contact details to acquire a permit to allow access through the gate at Hill 394.

I have no idea how to find this place but here are the contact details anyway.
Limay Factory: Barangay Lamao, Limay, Bataan.
Tel Nos: 047-2445772 or (73) or (74)
Fax: 047-2445810

Thought I would add a few more images over the next few days.

Today - Red Crested Malkoha

Nr Mt Makiling

Attachments

• Red-Crested-Malkoha.jpg
    Red-Crested-Malkoha.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back