• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phoenix, Arizona, USA - 24th October (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Hello,

Really having a hard time identifying this bird. Spotted in desert scrubland over the weekend.
Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Unknown resize.jpg
    Unknown resize.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 72
Hi! The photo is beautiful, to begin with!
I've never seen one (so wait for other opinions!), but grabbing my Sibley I'd identify it as a Grasshopper Sparrow based on the following:
- pattern on the scapulars, mantle and greater coverts
- isolated spot on "rear auriculars"
- absence of flank streaks
- yellowish lores (in front of the eye), as in a Savannah Sparrow
- full thin white eye ring

Thank you - I appreciate the compliment and the ID.
Not sure that it helps, but this was in the same area, and I had initially ID'd this as a Savannah Sparrow.

Attachments

• Unknown 2 resize.jpg
    Unknown 2 resize.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 40
Thank you both for the information... I consider it a huge success that I only had one "unknown" this time and that my id skills appear to be getting better!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back